Going rate for a practice catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I would love to have either of the catchers from her HS team catch her but neither want to do any more than necessary during the mandatory practice. The two catchers from our travel team are still playing travel ball (live in a different state with different HS seasons) and are normally busy during our pitching lesson times. Bummer because I think a good catcher is essential for a successful pitcher at any level. My DD spins the ball a ton with a lot of movement and the more her catchers see her pitching the better they both look.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Wow! DIVA???? That's a pretty damning blanket statement. I've seen a very few divas over the years, especially when they are young. Once they are older, for the most part, the pitchers respect what a good catcher can do for them.

I knew I should have put the SARCASM font on there.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I would love to have either of the catchers from her HS team catch her but neither want to do any more than necessary during the mandatory practice. The two catchers from our travel team are still playing travel ball (live in a different state with different HS seasons) and are normally busy during our pitching lesson times. Bummer because I think a good catcher is essential for a successful pitcher at any level. My DD spins the ball a ton with a lot of movement and the more her catchers see her pitching the better they both look.

I could have written this. Hard working catchers are rare, and I don't see many sticking together through thick and thin very often. DD also has good spin and movement but only throws high 50s/low 60s. HS catchers don't have time (don't want to put in any extra work outside of practices); TB catchers live too far.

Sigh...I can't afford to bribe catchers when they don't want to put in extra work, and I can't afford to pay them to come from over 1 hour away to a 30 min lesson.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD's lessons are usually 1 hour minimum. Finding time to get with our coach is tough so when we do get in, she makes it worth it. A lot of throwing, but also a lot of talk about the "game" and the mental side of it. 60+ minute lessons are tough for a pitcher, but tougher for a catcher IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes