Giving the ball back?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
At Michigan you give the balls back to the marketing table and in return you receive a bat keychain with an M on it. I do remember thinking it was a little different than what I expected and thought that like baseball, they kept them. I wouldn't say I was disappointed at all, more like, oh.. Ok cool. I did have the opportunity to catch Sierra Romeros record breaking home run ball hit at Alumni field. Actually to say I 'caught' it would be ridiculous, she hit a bomb over the seats. Anyway, I knew the situation and I wanted my daughter and I to be the ones to return it (We were hoping to be able to give it to her -no such luck). Yes pretty sad for a 38 year old man but I figured DD would remember this forever since it is her favorite player. I did actually catch one of Caitlyn Blanchard home runs late in her senior year and I have to say I was glad to return it in hopes that she would get to keep the ball.

I say that to say this, if these balls are going back to the girl who hit the homerun then good for the university. These girls aren't hitting 30 home runs a year for 10 years like MLB players do so I think giving the ball to commemorate their homerun is a great thing for the athlete. Not sure I have a great argument for the foul balls but if that's the rule, that's the rule. I think the universities do enough with promotions and freebies to warrant asking for the balls back. My daughter has a complete set of UM softball cards, pink Michigan towel, maize and blue rope necklace, key chains... Those things probably mean more to her than the softball would compared to how much it would mean to the girl who hit the homerun to have the ball.

Cool ball story, last year my DD travel team went to the last Yankees/tigers game of the year which was Jeters last game in Michigan. Her coach and I are huge Yankees fans. I took some girls to the gift shop and they were supposed to report back to me -they did no so I was late getting up to my seat to see Jeters last at bat. Because I was late I had to watch in the tunnel. Right before Jeter grounds out he hit a foul ball towards the first base side that hit the wall, off of a chair and right into my hands. I had 12 dudes all looking at me... I put the ball in my pockets, walked up the steps and showed it in the air to our large group and they were all pretty excited. So... I have the second to last ball ever hit by Derek Jeter while in Michigan.... exciting and means something to me, but to some, it may be just a ball.

leave it to the Ohio State guy to complain and want a freebie... I didn't think they hit home runs at Ohio State, must be the foul balls he's concerned about... JK Jk!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm still wanting to know the actual reason versus all of us just speculating here lol!

Whether you care to recognize it or not, as almost everyone has noted, the answer is $$$$. Call The Ohio State University and request that the Sports Information Director prepare a press release to provide the official answer you seek :rolleyes:

My reality is that if my DD's D3 college didn't have a return-the-ball policy, I'd be even more out of pocket to support the team's FL spring break trip. YMMV

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Whether you care to recognize it or not, as almost everyone has noted, the answer is $$$$. Call The Ohio State University and request that the Sports Information Director prepare a press release to provide the official answer you seek.

And whether everyone cares to acknowledge it or not, you are all just guessing. Opinions are wonderful things, but ultimately useless when a factual answer is sought. I just figured that someone here actually knew the reason.

I have emailed the Fan Experience & Promotions people at the university. No press release needed.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
And whether everyone cares to acknowledge it or not, you are all just guessing. Opinions are wonderful things, but ultimately useless when a factual answer is sought. I just figured that someone here actually knew the reason.

I have emailed the Fan Experience & Promotions people at the university. No press release needed.

Why do you think Ohio State does not let fans keep the balls?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Why do you think Ohio State does not let fans keep the balls?

For the same reason all the other schools have the same policy, which is currently unknown in this thread. I don't know, which is why I asked in the first place. It might be money, but no one has offered evidence, only opinions about balls that cost between $5 and $7 that fly into the stands 20x per game, and that college softball budgets are too small to absorb that loss. All of which might be true. It seems silly when compared to a total athletic budget, but it might actually be a significant percentage of the softball budget. Again, unknown so far.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
For the same reason all the other schools have the same policy, which is currently unknown in this thread. I don't know, which is why I asked in the first place. It might be money, but no one has offered evidence, only opinions about balls that cost between $5 and $7 that fly into the stands 20x per game, and that college softball budgets are too small to absorb that loss. All of which might be true. It seems silly when compared to a total athletic budget, but it might actually be a significant percentage of the softball budget. Again, unknown so far.

OK, but isn't it odd that you don't have a competing theory, or that no other competing theory has been presented?

That doesn't prove it's about the money, but as it stands, it's like somebody watching my cats eat.

Why do they eat?

Because they're hungry.

But that's just your opinion. How do you know?

I don't. That's just what makes sense to me. Why do you think they're eating?

I don't know. That's why I ask. But all I get is opinions.

I guess somebody needs to call the vet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi