Giving the ball back?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think what is not considered is licensed merchandise. I believe that money goes to the school for distribution with a portion allocated back to athletics. That said I am going to go out on a limb and say that the reason people by NCAA licensed merchandise is not because of their fond memories of the Lithuanian Poetry class they took back in the day. I am willing to bet that were it not for athletics little if any merchandise would be sold.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
If this is the case, then I'm sure you now understand why they ask for foul balls to be returned!

PS I hope you don't do your own taxes!

What a ridiculous thing to say. I have a firm grasp on finance, and I do my research. The men's hockey team has a $75k skating treadmill that many NHL teams don't have. That money could have bought between 11,000 and 15,000 NCAA regulation balls, depending on who in this thread you believe. For our 19 (yes, nineteen) home games this season, at 20 balls/game (which I don't buy for a second, not as an average) and an average of $6/ball (because the consensus is $5 to $7), that one piece of equipment that hasn't helped our hockey team one bit (we pretty much suck) could fund enough lost balls to cover 5 seasons.

Of course I do my own taxes, and I attack them the same way I am attacking this, only with more intensity. If there's a write off to be had, I will have it. You would be lucky to have someone as tenacious as I to do your taxes lol!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What a ridiculous thing to say. I have a firm grasp on finance, and I do my research. The men's hockey team has a $75k skating treadmill that many NHL teams don't have. That money could have bought between 11,000 and 15,000 NCAA regulation balls, depending on who in this thread you believe. For our 19 (yes, nineteen) home games this season, at 20 balls/game (which I don't buy for a second, not as an average) and an average of $6/ball (because the consensus is $5 to $7), that one piece of equipment that hasn't helped our hockey team one bit (we pretty much suck) could fund enough lost balls to cover 5 seasons.

Of course I do my own taxes, and I attack them the same way I am attacking this, only with more intensity. If there's a write off to be had, I will have it. You would be lucky to have someone as tenacious as I to do your taxes lol!
I agree with you about the Ohio athletics. Not a cheap program. In fact they have the best college football team money can buy ��

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I agree with you about the Ohio athletics. Not a cheap program. In fact they have the best college football team money can buy ��

Jealousy is an ugly thing. Understandable, but ugly none the less.

Urban is paid less than Saban, Dantonio, Stoops, Sumlin, and Strong. And Harbaugh. Hey! maybe if you could sell some student tix, you'd have more money for recruiting?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

My late father-in-law used to say that he decided in advance what he thought he should owe the IRS and then worked his 1040 to reach that number. Along those lines, maybe we can create the change necessary to allow fans to keep those foul softballs if we can channel your ferocity to find a loophole to write off un-returned softballs as business-related expenses or charitable contributions.

PS Before we can fully evaluate your claim, we will need the HC and/or the AD to provide documentation as to the actual effectiveness of the skating treadmill as it pertains to the hockey team's relative success :cool:

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Jealousy is an ugly thing. Understandable, but ugly none the less.

Urban is paid less than Saban, Dantonio, Stoops, Sumlin, and Strong. And Harbaugh. Hey! maybe if you could sell some student tix, you'd have more money for recruiting?
Urban's salary is one thing. But I hear he makes more on commission.

I'm what they call a State of Michigan man. I root for both u of m and MSU. But I share an office with a huge U of M fan and in the office next to me is a huge MSU fan and an OSU fan. So I tend to just sit there and stir the pot. It's quite fun. It did almost kill me inside to root for OSU in the National chpionshop game. But it's a big ten thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi