1 ball per inning rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2016
Semi finals of 14u game today that resumed after 45 minute rain delay. In the 3rd inning my pitchers throws a pitch in the mud that gets away from my catcher. After pitcher receives ball back from catcher she throws it back in to catcher for a new one and umpire feels ball and refuses to change out. I asked if I could wipe it off with towel and he simply says play ball. After the inning I approached him and asked why he would allow a change in balls and he says she is only allowed 1 ball per inning, I said she was just trying to get a clean ball which he responded it wasn't wet. I headed back to dugout without incident just confused about the explanation but left well enough alone. Next inning comes and we have 2 outs all with same ball we started inning with. The 3rd batter of inning hits ball foul into rf corner which is relayed back to the pitcher she wipes it once on shirt and then throws to catcher who turns pu and asks again for new ball he touches ball and again says no to play on. Again after the inning I approach and ask if the ball that just game in from wet grass was not wet and he says no it wasn't pitcher just didn't like the feel of the ball. This sets me off and I remind him that she has used the ball the entire inning and she got 2 outs with it and she just wanted a dry ball. He starts explaining the official rule to me and says she gets 1 ball per inning. We have a nice talk and I explain to him that we just want a clean dry ball due to the rain and could understand him enforcing the rule of it were dry out and pitcher just didn't like the feel of the ball.

Can someone reference that official section of the rule book so I can read, I'm not doubting the rule just want to read. Was I wrong in that situation in expecting a courtesy of a clean dry ball? The other coach said he didn't understand why he would supply another ball

Jun 22, 2008
Some rule sets address it, some dont. In the ASA rule book you wont actually find it in the rules section, it is in the rules supplement section under ball rotation. And, the rule does not say only 1 ball is allowed per inning. At the beginning of the game, the home team pitcher starts the game with one ball. If that ball does not go out of play, the visiting pitcher in the bottom half of the first inning must start with the unused ball. After that at the beginning of each half inning the pitcher may pitch the ball that is in the circle or request a different ball from the umpire. If she pitches the ball in the circle she has made her choice and must use that ball until it goes out of play. If she requests a different ball then she must throw the ball she requested until it goes out of play. The pitcher is not suppose to ever have more than 1 ball in their possession. After the first inning, once a ball is put into play it remains in play until it goes out of play or becomes unplayable. If the ball was wet or muddy he should have changed out balls, but his contention the rule only allows 1 ball per inning is incorrect. NFHS has the same rule as ASA.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi