Getting a glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2008
Do u need to choose a fielding glove size/model based on which position u play? i play 2nd base, and i m getting a mizuno glove soon. will 12.5 inch be suitable for infield positions?

thx

May 26, 2008
btw anyone of u own these glove? is it a gr8 glove? easy to break in?

5509294.jpg

6fe9_1.JPG

efa3_1.JPG

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hopefully, you can try these gloves on. It really depends on how big the pocket is, whether 12.5 is big enough or not. How old are you? I generally look for a 13 inch or bigger glove for softball. It is not hard to get the ball out of a big glove, like it is in baseball. But, my DD and I are both tall and play some OF.

Put your hand in the glove and see if your thumb and your little finger, goes easily into the loops. The glove should not feel heavy.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Glove

My 9 year old has an 11.5 Mizuno that she refuses to get rid of...I bought her a red Mizuno 12 in (much bigger) that has taken more time to work on to break in.
All she wanted was a red glove...not so easy to find!

My 12 year old has a 12" Mizuno ... no problems catching with it at all ....bought spring 2007 and took about a week to break in.

Michelle Smith uses a 12.25 " and Derek Jeter uses a 11.5" glove ...

Oh..not a Yankees fan ...

My 12 year old uses an 18 ounce 31 inch bat ...

LOL .. can be a very personal choice!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Is your YO using an 11 inch ball?

It IS a very personal choice. I use a 34" (circumference) mitt to catch on the bucket. It is by SSK. My nephew and I spent hours on the Internet trying to find that specific glove for his DD. I am going to buy an extra one, if I ever find them. They are game ready and this one has lasted 10 years.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
glove

Both daughters .. 9 & 11 LL age use 12" in their league.

All Stars 9/10 use 11" at 35 ft pitching.
All Stars 10/11 use 11" at 40 feet ...
All Stars 11/12 use 12" at 40 feet

Regular season (now) 12" 40 feet

My 9 with the 11.5 golve ...glove is small ..coach actually plays her at first outfield & pitcher...no catcHing issues at all...scoops up all.

I'd have to measure gloves for details ....but my kids catch with what they have ....

May 5, 2008
How old are you?

I played 2B and always felt that my 12 inch was a little too big. Often times my throwing hand would hit the thumb/sides of the glove before getting to the ball making my transition slower.

I actually prefer 11-11.5 inch, but that's my personal preference. And yes, you would choose a different size based on your position and also based on your own fielding ability.

May 8, 2008
South Florida
What difference would the size make?

Stacie, if you remember my daughter plays second base:D she is looking for a new glove, she now uses a 12.5 and she loves it should she go smaller or should she stay the same that she has always used? And what would benefit would she have if she went smaller?

Thanks Lori

May 5, 2008
The only benefit is basically a quicker transition between catch and throw, but if she's not comfortable with something smaller, don't do it.

If at all possible, I would have her try a different size first (maybe just a cheap glove? Or one you buy for yourself to use :D) before making her switch over.

As for me, I just buy ny daughter whatever size I want her to use and she just has to live with it and learn to use it. She also plays 2b and pitcher and outfield. Her glove is a bit small for outfield, but she's doing fine with it.

I think I playedf with a 12.5 for a while and went down to 12 as I got older. I always wanted to go smaller, but there didn't seem to be too many 11.5 to choose from and when I was in college I never had the guts to switch over to 11, but it is what I prefer now.

May 26, 2008
erm i am able to get this glove for cheap. but the problem is tt it is 13 inch. but i m desperately in need of affordable good quality glove and this seems to be it.

is it alrite if i play infield with a 13 inch glove? does 1 inch really differs tt much?

product_1168102289_Akadema07058.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01