FSU player pulled for error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
Taking strike 3 is so over rated. I see so many kids who just hack away at strike 3. We had a kid this weekend take 3-2 above the letters. It was sort of close, but 95 our of 100 times it's ball 4. One of the AC's was telling her you have to adjust, but I told her let it go every time. If you start hacking at that pitch the Riseball pitchers will eat you up. DD one time up was batting against a stud pitcher who threw around 61-62. She was the only hitter on the team who could catch up to this kid and fouled several pitches straight back. finally worked to 3-2 and the kid put a change up on the outside corner that just dropped into the zone and it froze her. She was fooled on the pitch and froze. I told her after the game that if she can throw that pitch tip your cap and put it in the back of your mind when you face her again. Strike outs are strike outs, but if you insist on helping pitchers good pitchers will just kill you.

I certainly don't disagree with you. It just made me chuckle the way he did it. Zero hesitation. He was 100% committed to his philosophy.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That's the thing you can completely shut down the other team with defense but if you can't score a run you will still be out their playing because you have to score a run to win the game!

You would think that girls who are just getting in on defense would work harder at becoming a better hitter. The girl we were talking about Harris for FSU hit 19 HRs her senior year in HS and her first collegiate hit was a HR so it's not like she can't hit.

That is the problem. She is going into her Senior year and all we have is 19 home runs in HS and 1 her first AB her freshman year. Got to do more than that to crack a top 10 college line up. To her credit she obviously plays very well on defense with 42 appearances, but only 5 trips to the plate.

Sep 29, 2014
That is the problem. She is going into her Senior year and all we have is 19 home runs in HS and 1 her first AB her freshman year. Got to do more than that to crack a top 10 college line up. To her credit she obviously plays very well on defense with 42 appearances, but only 5 trips to the plate.

So is this a chicken and egg thing? How can she prove she can hit if she never gets any ABs? Does she get pre-season reps? practice game simulations? I'm just curious how it works having no experience in that environment.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So is this a chicken and egg thing? How can she prove she can hit if she never gets any ABs? Does she get pre-season reps? practice game simulations? I'm just curious how it works having no experience in that environment.

It is a tough two tiered process. You need to perform well in practice to get the opportunities in the games, then you need to perform well in the games to stay in the order. Not knocking Lauren, saw her play in HS and TB. But for whatever reason she is not getting the opportunities at the plate. Hopefully she sees success there next season. IIRC - She had great power and could turn on an inside pitch like few players I have seen, hitting the ball out with a flick of her wrist. Would like to see her get more chances.

Feb 15, 2016
That's the thing you can completely shut down the other team with defense but if you can't score a run you will still be out their playing because you have to score a run to win the game!

You would think that girls who are just getting in on defense would work harder at becoming a better hitter. The girl we were talking about Harris for FSU hit 19 HRs her senior year in HS and her first collegiate hit was a HR so it's not like she can't hit.

Oh I get it, but it does not necessarily make mathematical sense. If a college player gets 160 ABs in a season (for example) the difference between a .343 hitter and a .250 hitter is 15 hits. That seems like a lot but if you spread it out over 55 games that comes to an extra hit roughly every 3.5 games. I know you have to figure in power and BBs and all kinds of other things but for simplicity I will just go with hits. If I have a very good SS who gets to everything and makes plays the better hitter can't, or a catcher who is a wall behind the plate and throws out base-stealers, a 1B who can dig everything out of the dirt, or a speedy CF who turns doubles into outs I only need them to do that once every other game and I am getting a huge return on my investment in defense. I have seen some terrible OF play at a high level (and those OF errors generally go for extra bases) and I just keep thinking how many hits does she have to get to make up for the liability she causes on defense?

Sep 29, 2014
The answer is always it depends the FSU starting SS bats .250 so they are willing to make the sacrifice there but at LF and RF maybe not so much, same at 1B I don't need to tell you the type of players that go there on numerous occasions :rolleyes:, C you might sacrifice but most can hit very well. I will admit OF play can be atrocious and as I preach all the time infield errors cost you one base (but problem is usually an out as well) outfield errors can cost you two bases and sometimes runs but not usually as many outs.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The answer is always it depends the FSU starting SS bats .250 so they are willing to make the sacrifice there but at LF and RF maybe not so much, same at 1B I don't need to tell you the type of players that go there on numerous occasions :rolleyes:, C you might sacrifice but most can hit very well. I will admit OF play can be atrocious and as I preach all the time infield errors cost you one base (but problem is usually an out as well) outfield errors can cost you two bases and sometimes runs but not usually as many outs.

There's lots of sacrificing at C on display in the WCWS IMO.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota

I disagree slightly. It is not always errors in the outfield that are costly. Sometimes the big hitter just can't get to balls the other better and faster defensive player gets to. It is not an error and it just cost an out, multiple bases, and probably runs and we don't account for that anywhere in normal statistics.

I did not see the play in question but there is obviously a huge range of OF talent even that the top level of D1. Some are just dynamite and there are some who must carry big sticks because it seems as if even the can of corn fly ball is an adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32