Friday check in! 8/21

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Wow, I thought a 45 minute drive to weekday practice was bad! How do you do that in practicality? Surely you don't make that trip on weeknights, do you? Does she just get private instruction during the week and meet up with the team at tournaments? Newbie to travel here, so I don't know.
Unfortunately, there just aren't competitive teams in our area. Don't get me wrong - there are some talented players here, but the coaches just can't get together so we end up with a few talented players on a bunch of glorified rec teams. So if you want your DD to play on a competitive team you have to travel. It's just the way it is around here. So you either play for one of the teams that are 3.5 hours south or to tryout for one of the ones that are 4 hours west. That's where all the tournaments are anyway. DD was invited to play on two of the south teams and to tryout for the team 4 hours west. She made the west team - we liked the coaches and their reputation so that is the team that we chose. They are willing to work with us on the travel so while we won't be able to make the mid-week practices she will have a workout schedule, she does batting practice everyday anyway, she works with a hitting coach and a personal trainer plus she will be working with a friend that is a pitcher so she will also get some reps in squatting. Oh and her high school team is putting on a 5 week fall ball league so she will be practicing with them and playing double headers on Saturdays. So we will only be traveling to practices on Sundays. A softball mom has to do what a softball mom has to do...

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don't normally quote Scarlett O'Hara. Just trying to live up to the role of Southern Girl on this board.
I don't normally quote Rhett Butler but, what the hay...
th

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Unfortunately, there just aren't competitive teams in our area. Don't get me wrong - there are some talented players here, but the coaches just can't get together so we end up with a few talented players on a bunch of glorified rec teams. So if you want your DD to play on a competitive team you have to travel. It's just the way it is around here. So you either play for one of the teams that are 3.5 hours south or to tryout for one of the ones that are 4 hours west. That's where all the tournaments are anyway. DD was invited to play on two of the south teams and to tryout for the team 4 hours west. She made the west team - we liked the coaches and their reputation so that is the team that we chose. They are willing to work with us on the travel so while we won't be able to make the mid-week practices she will have a workout schedule, she does batting practice everyday anyway, she works with a hitting coach and a personal trainer plus she will be working with a friend that is a pitcher so she will also get some reps in squatting. Oh and her high school team is putting on a 5 week fall ball league so she will be practicing with them and playing double headers on Saturdays. So we will only be traveling to practices on Sundays. A softball mom has to do what a softball mom has to do...

Now that is true dedication! I'm toasting you with my Pinot Noir right now. I hope you have an Audible account to listen to books during all that driving...

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Now that is true dedication! I'm toasting you with my Pinot Noir right now. I hope you have an Audible account to listen to books during all that driving...

Thanks! DD and I usually just listen to music, sing and talk. It really ends up being quality time. She is growing up fast (entering her junior year) so these times are limited. :D

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Another weekend of managing my kids' athletics from 1000 miles away.

DW drove DS to his dorm yesterday. His NCAA meeting for his row team was yesterday evening. 2 weeks practice before school starts. Hope he does some studying. DD 1 went with them.

DD2 may or may not join her HS XC team today. Roster frozen today, so this is her only chance. She was out of town before then.

DD 3 had umpire training yesterday. She will get to be the Evil Blue for the little kids now. More hassle than I thought possible getting her a ride.

Interesting, still a few weeks left of summer in NYC but already fall in Wisconsin. Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414