Flex Player Used as Pinch Runner for other player than DP in World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2012
Did anyone see this happen last nite??? Please advise...I thought this was not allowed...did I miss something????

Jun 22, 2008
I wasnt paying that close of attention, but no it should not have happened if they did do it. You sure it wasnt a pinch hitter for the dp, and then the flex put in for the pinch hitter?

Got any idea what inning it happened in and which team? I could pull up the replay and see if I can spot it.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Traina for Alabama was listed as the DP in the original lineup. Coach changed her defensive postion to Pitcher.
Even though she is pitching, she is still the listed DP for the game, therefore, the FLEX player can replace her on offence and the DP still has a re-entry remaining. ESPN listed her as the defensive position she was physically playing, not what she was listed as on the lineup.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Even though she is pitching, she is still the listed DP for the game, therefore, the FLEX player can replace her on offence and the DP still has a re-entry remaining. ESPN listed her as the defensive position she was physically playing, not what she was listed as on the lineup.

They could do the exact same thing if she was not the DP, because everyone has one re-entry. (FLEX normally plays defense, and DP plays offense.)

So if I understand correctly, the coach had burned a substitution before the game started?

Yes, as I understand it, the moment Traina started pitching was a substitution of the FLEX. Then when Traina got a hit, and the FLEX came in to run (re-entry of the FLEX), it was a sub of Traina. That's why the next time she got a hit (after she had used up her re-entry) she had to run herself (no pitcher courtesy runner in NCAA apparently).

Seems bizarre, but the next game showed why you might want to do this: In the next game, Ricketts was taken out as pitcher, but stayed in to bat: So Ricketts was never subbed, she just started playing offense only, as is normal for a DP. The FLEX in that case was the other pitcher (a sub for the original FLEX), who played defense only. Pretty clever actually.

Jun 22, 2008
They could do the exact same thing if she was not the DP, because everyone has one re-entry

In NCAA, only the starters have a re-entry. If a sub comes in and then leaves the game, they are done.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
In NCAA, only the starters have a re-entry. If a sub comes in and then leaves the game, they are done.

Didn't know that, though it wasn't an issue in this case.

When it comes to substitutions, DP, courtesy runners, etc., softball seems a lot like Calvinball.

Jan 15, 2009
Yes, as I understand it, the moment Traina started pitching was a substitution of the FLEX. Then when Traina got a hit, and the FLEX came in to run (re-entry of the FLEX), it was a sub of Traina. That's why the next time she got a hit (after she had used up her re-entry) she had to run herself (no pitcher courtesy runner in NCAA apparently).

Moving from DP on the bench to DP Pitching is not a substitution for the DP, and isn't a substitution for the Flex unless the player that moves to the bench is the Flex. DP playing Defense for anyone other than flex is not a substitution and is no different than havin F4 and F5 switch positions mid game. Flex can only enter the batting line up (or pinch run) for the DP slot which is dictated by the lineup card turned in at the start of the game. Maybe the booth had an advance copy that didn't match the final that was turned in. Flex only burns their substitution if they leave the field on defense, DP only burns a substituion if they leave the lineup while on offense.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The use of the DP/FLEX as mentioned here is one example of the power and flexibility using that lineup option provides. In this case, the team has a pitcher who is also a pretty good hitter. List her as the starting DP and another player as the starting pitcher. Once the lineups are accepted by the PU, tell the PU that the DP will be pitching. All you have done is make a defensive change, much like switching your left fielder and your right fielder. No body has left the game, nobody new has entered the game. Say you get to the sixth inning, your DP/Pitcher is due up to bat, but coach wants to let her rest for the last inning....let the FLEX bat for the DP. DP has left the game, but has her re-entry left. The FLEX player bats, the inning ends, the DP now re-enters to pitch. There is no effect on the FLEX as she has always been in the game.

There are a bunch of other variation that can be used with the DP/FLEX depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the players. I'm sure there is a lot of information out there on how to strategically manipulate lineups using the option.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Moving from DP on the bench to DP Pitching is not a substitution for the DP, and isn't a substitution for the Flex unless the player that moves to the bench is the Flex.

You are right, I had missed that subtlety. To summarize:

Alabama, in game 1:
Traina is DP (bats 4th), Hays is FLEX (plays 2b), Locke is pitcher (bats 6th).
But every time they go in the field, Traina replaces Locke (not a substitution, per SnocatzDad).
When Traina reaches base the first time, Hays runs for her; this is a sub for Traina, but not for Hays. Traina re-enters, and next time she reaches base has to run for herself.

The only way to tell that Traina was the DP, and not Locke, is that Hays ran for Traina once.

Oklahoma, in game 2:
Ricketts is DP (bats 4th), Vest is FLEX (plays ss), Norris is pitcher (bats 6th).
When they go in the field, Ricketts replaces Norris (not a substitution).
By the top of the 4th, Oklahoma is 5-1 behind and wants to replace their pitcher. They make two substitutions:
- Gascoigne for Vest; Gascoigne is now the FLEX, and she pitches; Ricketts is still the DP (that was the whole point).
- And Vandever for Norris, because Norris is not a strong fielder.
In the 6th inning, Norris re-enters to bat for Vandever (Vandever cannot re-enter, because she was not a starter - per Comp).
Since Norris still has not learned to field, she is then substituted with Allen; Norris has now used up her re-entry. When her slot in the order comes around in the 7th, Allen will have to bat for herself (and strikes out).

This game would make a good example in the coaching handbook.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp