First video of DD. we are looking for input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2012
[video=youtube_share;N3u9xVfaRSE]http://youtu.be/N3u9xVfaRSE[/video]

DD is 15 we are looking at ways to improve her pitching. I have heard alot about IR, but i dont know enough about it to help my daughter out. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Boy, she looks pretty good to me, except maybe how her body doesn't stop when she lands. Well, I don't know that it has to stop, but seems she's losing some of the power in that great leap due to not getting near-stopping landing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She looks good, to me, also. So, one thing that might get her a little bit of help - is to work on not swimming her glove side out. Some pitchers can get away with it OK, but your DDs looks a little excessive to me. She wants a strong front side - similar to her overhand throw.

One more thing, and it isn't about her pitching - but her fielding. She fires the ball and then, is backing up. This is common and I will sit there (catching) with the ball, until she walks forward to receive it.

I will watch the whole video, as soon as I get time.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Lots of good stuff going on with Hayley! Nice work! Love her load and drive. Generally, she seems to whip very well.

The one thing I'd say to work on is her shoulders through release. She closes pretty hard. I'd like to see her at or around 45 degrees at release. Currently, shes almost completely closed at release, then follows through to past closed:
Capture.jpgCapture1.jpgCapture2.jpg

Playing underhand catch is the best place to start. Lots of feedback and questions about if she is/isn't closed. Get her to feel and buy into it.

In the long term, this change will help her greatly. In the short term, her control will struggle until she makes the new mechanic permanent and adjusts. Your choice is to take it on: 100%, 50, or wait till the next off-time. If she's a #1 or 2, the choice gets hard. If she's new or a #3, I'd go 100% and get her dialed now. I don't think you'll regret it.

Hope that helps,
Ken

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hoping javasource jumps in on this one. I'd be interested to hear his take on her drive knee, as well as his and Coach Pauly's take on how to create better resistance at plant.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This is from my Lil DD:
"She needs to work on locking."
(Love that kid!) I agree, but I'd start with the shoulders and make locking a side focus.

Jul 14, 2008
First, she doesn't stay behind her front foot to create a point of resistance to throw AGAINST.........She has nothing to "bust the pitch" off of............

She's WAY TO SQUARE at release.......Then, she extends (reaches) to the target and then bends her arm up to the oppo shoulder to try and keep the arm momentum moving........Which doesn't "need" to happen.........It can........But it doesn't have to.......

For now.........I'd say you need to watch this video and read the post associated with it.........And incorporate it into her delivery mechanics..........And work on front side resistance, staying behind that resistance point to create that "bust it off" zone........

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
AR Softball dad,

What sort of velocity is your DD pitching at compared to her peers? What about compared to those you would consider the very best in your area? I think she would be a little slow.

From what I see (and it is difficult to tell with arm blur) it looks like she is pushing (bowling) and then IR'ng after she releases the ball. To me her arm looks straight/locked in the IR zone allowing for no real forearm IR Snap/rotation.

Remember at around 9:00 in the circle is has been generally agreed upon here that the ball should be facing at least slightly skyward and fingers never behind the ball.

Read the IR sticky thread where BM describes a IR backwards chaining progression and that will get you started in the right direction. At least that is what I see.

Last edited:
I would like to add that the windup that brings both hands to the right hip tends to cause upper torso twisting that can lead to glove arm swim that can pull the left shoulder back causing an early closing. My DD does this now and I am convinced that this wind up is not for her.

If you look at her first movement up the circle as she comes from the hip, her glove hand goes straight to 1st base. The shoulders are being pulled closed at a time when you are trying to get open.

A different wind up may keep her shoulders more open.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Shes a Hillhouse student isnt she? at least by her load, hands together at her hip, finishing across the body, and pivot foot in front of the rubber suggesting so....
shes not bad, I do see that shes floating over her front side, this is robbing her of speed. And her glove isnt working at all, use the glove and pull the arms down together. But she does do a good job of leading with her elbow and whipping the release with I/R.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan