Family Quitting a Team – 12U Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am still trying to figure out why a Family/ Player quit our Rec. Team, I am not an AC or HC. I missed the 2nd game of the DH that the AC went after the HC, some Parents thought he was going to take shot at HC. (I think it was mostly about pitching)

What example are you setting for your DD, etc? Apparently he got really personal about HC’s DD for the entire world to hear.

IDK but if you want to quit, quit there is no reason to make a scene. If you do not like the Team do not sign up again.

I liked him, still like DD, but no one is sorry to see him go after his explosion.

Jul 26, 2010
People sit on their fat duffs all night long watching crappy reality TV that glamorizes irresponsible foul-mouthed drama-mongers, and then suddenly they're surprised when life imitates (non)art.

-W

Nov 29, 2009
People sit on their fat duffs all night long watching crappy reality TV that glamorizes irresponsible foul-mouthed drama-mongers, and then suddenly they're surprised when life imitates (non)art.

-W

I call them the Road Rules Generation. The parents of the younger kids today who grew up watching the first drama-laced nonsense show on MTV. There have been multiple imitators since the inception of the that show. None of them any better. Watched 3 minutes of Jersey Shore one time and one time only. Changed the channel wondering what the draw was about watching a bunch of no talent drunks argue?? What many parents don't realize that in REAL life your words and actions have consequences. It's not a new episode next week. Often an apology doesn't fix the damage. It only puts a bow on it.

Had a mother a while back who was nothing but a pain from the time tryouts ended till the end of the season. She got worse as the season went on. When I refused to work with her daughter pitching after the season ended she couldn't understand why. She even used the "Being all about the kids." line on me. When I made it clear in no uncertain terms she was the problem she got all upset and couldn't understand what she did wrong. I told her when she figures it out she can call me. Never heard from her. Saw her daughter after that and she looked really bad.

Jun 21, 2010
I really don't think you can blame reality television for the way people behave. There were plenty of idiots around before reality TV.

Things aren't worse then when we were growing up. They're just different, and in many ways they're much better.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Only good thing is that if we see them again they will be on the other side of the field. I am sure we will run into them next spring.

I would also be interested if AC apologized to HC and his DD but decided it was none of my business. My DD wasn’t at the game so lucky she missed the whole thing too.

Apr 6, 2012
1. People are spoiled and self centered. 2. Parents don't want their kids to have to earn playing time, they just want it given to them. 3. The " all about the kids" line really means, " it's all about MY kid." 4. We have created a population who wants everyone to get a trophy even if it doesn't mean anything. 5. I think there is something to the way culture portrays relationships on television and how that impacts people's behavior. It's all about the confrontation. 6. All parents think their kid will get a scholarship for softball and they see coaches as either aiding that or standing in the way of that.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I really don't think you can blame reality television for the way people behave.

IMHO, there seems to be many more parents with control issues about their kids. It seems the parents think that they know better than their child about everything...including what the child wants to do and what the child should do.

There should be more emphasis on finding out the talents of the child and letting the child grow in that area. Now, parents seem to decide that the child should be a doctor, engineer or softball player and try to make the child into what the parent envisions.

E.g., I see a lot of kids with no enthusiasm for softball playing the silly game. There was even a post here about "how to make a child love softball". If a parent could make their child "love" something, shouldn't they make them love something with a longer term impact than softball?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In a lot ways, an at bat or pitching effort are taken personally by the parents. It is out of their control and they angonize so much. When their dd makes an out, it is an afront to the parents. When the dd struggles in the circle, they are embarrassed. They take it out on the dd. When the dd fails, parents often look around as if to see who is looking at them. Softball is a game. Sit back and enjoy watching your child play. Win/lose or success/fail, so what. This time is going to go by so fast that many of them/you will regret not enjoying the ride. I have 3 years left for my dd in college. How can that happen? Yet, I've had a blast in the stand as well as coaching her and I'm betting she'd say the same.

Jun 21, 2010
IMHO, there seems to be many more parents with control issues about their kids. It seems the parents think that they know better than their child about everything...including what the child wants to do and what the child should do.

There should be more emphasis on finding out the talents of the child and letting the child grow in that area. Now, parents seem to decide that the child should be a doctor, engineer or softball player and try to make the child into what the parent envisions.

E.g., I see a lot of kids with no enthusiasm for softball playing the silly game. There was even a post here about "how to make a child love softball". If a parent could make their child "love" something, shouldn't they make them love something with a longer term impact than softball?

I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said about reality TV. Maybe I am missing something.

May 25, 2010
Take Sluggers' post on its own merits.

In the same way, allow each kid to pursue their own talents and interests as opposed to trying to program them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd