Facing a live batter in a tunnel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Over the years I've done live hitting and pitching in tunnels with my teams. I tell the pitchers, catchers and hitters this is an "At Bat" like in a game. The hitters are there to get a hit. The pitchers are there to get them out. My coaches and myself would be the final word. Catchers call balls and strikes. We determine if a hit ball would have been an out or a hit. Once the at bat was over a different hitter would enter the cage. I would rotate everything so the hitters would not see the same pitcher more than 3 times and never two times in a row.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Our coaches run it the same way with practices combined with 2nd year 10's and 1st year 12's. It seems to work really well with the 10's getting better competition than they see during the year. The 12's don't have it easy as the 11" ball and the 35' pitching distance are great equalizers. It really helps the pitchers and catchers think on their own.

IR a Pitching Dad

Sitting on a Bucket
Dec 4, 2014
IMO it is not the pitcher's responsibility to pitch batting practice on the field or in a tunnel, cage, etc. unless it occurs within the context of game like situation (pitches called, 4 balls, 3 strikes once batter gets out or gets on change batter. At 3 outs change pitchers to replicate an inning or to pitch bunting practice). It is the coaches responsibility to pitch batting practice. DD was injured during her freshman year last season during practice pitching batting practice....despite my correspondence with the staff that her pitching coach recommends pitching batting practice under the circumstances mentioned he decided otherwise....so pitching to the top of our order approximately 20 + pitches per batter last batter last swing took a shot to the shin shattering the outer layer of the shin. Freshman season a wash.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Here are my concerns....1)If DD is out there trying to throw strikes and the coaches want it to be more productive by giving the batters something they can hit. 2)The girls have just started practicing a few weeks ago. Their reaction time might be rusty on anything flying right back at them

You've just explained the difference between BP and live.... Practice like you play. Seems like your girls need some WD40

May 12, 2014
Spoke with DD's PC about it last night. She told DD to treat it like a game and don't put anything over the plate and if the coach has an issue with that logic to come and talk to PC.

Coach James, I agree about getting the rust off. But, that's something you do in drills I would think. Not with a live bullet that could take your head off.

Jul 1, 2010
A few years back when DD began pitching to her own team I was opposed to it. She and I made a pact that I'd allow it if she would never throw ducks. Only once did she have a coach tell her to "lighten up". She gave him the biggest smile and said "yes-sir". Then continued to give it all she had. He just looked at me, laughed and said "hard head"

Back to the OP, mine is 16U and throws and hits regularly in the tunnel with her travel organization. Pitcher and batter must play it live and be prepared for anything including HBP and comebackers. Overall, I think it is productive and safe for both pitcher and batter, especially when the weather doesn't allow outdoor play.

Jul 17, 2012
I think this is crazy to do without a screen. First off, the hitter has a perception difference in a tunnel vs a full field..... the opening is up the middle... i.e. back at the pitcher. My second issue is that this better be a live at bat, meaning 4 balls or 3 strikes, your at bat is over. Next hitter. You let a girl stand in there and see 20-25 pitches, without the fear of a swing and miss ending her turn and she's eventually going to catch one, I don;t care how good your pitcher is. If you have decent hitters and you give them enough looks.....advantage turns to the hitter.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is always a good idea to wear a facemask when throwing BP, especially in a cage or tunnel situation. Pitching screens are also a good idea!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Cage.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red