Face masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I was speaking to a D1 coach and had my DD present. My DD noticed a face mask and told the coach she had one but hasn't been using it. D1 coach said they feel girls that wear them are looked down upon and it's a red flag for recruiting.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I can't believe that a coach would pass on a Traina, Esposito, etc. just because she wore a mask. Move on. Check this college off the list.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
there are a lot of crappy D1 schools - what school was it?
remember that article written by the Georgetown coach that flaunted their ignorance? that's a good school but I've never seen their softball team on television.

the fact that a school would consider a mask as a red flag would be a red flag to stay away from them.

Oct 25, 2009
I love it when the HS parents insist on their DDs wearing masks. I'm quick to criticize any player or coach, for that matter, who attempts to put a player down for wearing safety equipment. During our early talk sessions I encourage the use of masks. We had 4 players this year wearing them in practice and in games.

Oct 25, 2009
Really? Check that college off the list, how many face masked did you see at the WS? Most don't even wear mask on their batting helmet!

Anytime I think about helmet masks I think about that Florida slapper last year that got hit square in the helmet cage as she ran towards the slap. Glad she was smart! And she probably has the video to prove it!

It's so much better to say I'm glad I had a mask on than to wish you would have!

My son still hates seat belts but he wouldn't be here to hate seat belts if it weren't for seat belts.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Heck, I never wore a batting helmet. Uof A's catcher nailed herself in the face, while batting and she had such repercussions, that she threatened to take her own life. I really don't understand the ones that don't wear a mask on their helmet. It has been a HS rule since at least 2006.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Obbay: Where's the logic in your argument? If she "liked" masks or recruited players with masks her team would win--that's what's keeping them down? LIke it has nothing to do with the tough classes and nursing majors...I don't see a whole lot of masks on tv, so the opinion is shared and there aren't enough kids with masks to test that theory. And I don't think Georgetown is ignorant or even knows or cares about what the coach thinks about masks. They got basketball to worry about.

I read his argument as coaches discounting a player for using what has, at least IMO, been determined a valid and valuable piece of safety equipment. Could be wrong, but that's what I thought was being stated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles