Face masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I am apparently at the epicenter of pitchers getting hit in the head by batted balls this year. I have posted several times on it. In about April I saw a 14u pitcher get hit in the mask with a batted ball. The mask went flying behind her. She still ended up with a broken nose. Last week I saw an experienced second year 16 pitcher on an "A" team, not wearing a mask, hit by a batted ball and was seriously injured. My understanding is that her cheekbone and inter orbital were fractured. I saw it happen very clearly, the was absolutely no way anyone could have got a glove up to deflect it. It was awful to see and I can't tell you how bad everyone there felt for that kid.

Sunday, it was my daughter. She is a second year 10u, wearing a mask, pitching against a good team in a nq tournament. It was late on Sunday, the pitchers on both teams were tired and both teams were rocking the ball. DD had already deflected a hard hit ball about chest high in that game. She couldn't get the glove open to field it but she knocked it down. Another hard hit ball came right back at her and hit her in the mask. The gal that hit it plain smoked it and this time it was higher and there was no way she could knock it down. It hit square on her mask and dropped straight down. It dropped her on the spot and I have never been so scared in my life. There was people on the field before the ball was dead and the gal who hit the ball was standing on first bawling her eyes out. Even though it wasn't her fault and she did nothing wrong she felt terrible. Several of dd's teammates and friends from the other team were noticeably affected too.

The mask was still on her head and it did its job. It is a Rip-It btw. DD had a puffy lip and a couple marks under her lip that we could not determine how she got them. She was shook up but un-injured, her day was over. I later asked her what she remembered, she said she threw the pitch that was called, (fb middle), and was just thinking "that's a good pitch" and the next thing she remembered was being on the ground. Later that night, the gal who batted the ball called and dd and her talked for about 45 minutes about all the local softball gossip and what tv shows they like and whatever else girls that age talk about. Both of them felt much better after talking.

I can't tell you how thankful I was that she was wearing that mask. My two dd's will never play/practice the infield or pitch without a mask. Neither me or them could care less what some bonehead college coach with a brain stuck in the stone age thinks about masks. DD also wears a heart guard when she pitches and I don't think I will ever have to remind her to wear it again.

That is three times in a few short months I have seen a batted ball hit a pitcher hard in the head. It was an awful experience for everyone involved every time. It could have been even worse in every case. I don't want to see any more of it.

Play this out one more step: what if this had been a more serious injury or worse? How many of these gals would have been done with the game they love? Maybe the mask doesn't just protect the gal wearing it, maybe it protects everybody on the field from different kinds of harm.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2011
I spoke to a local HS assistant coach who told me that during tryouts they place the players with a mask in one line, and the ones without a mask in another. They will fill their team with non-mask wearers until all spots are filled. Only if they need additional players will they grab one from the "mask" line. When I asked him about why this was he said that players who wears masks are less confident, less technically advanced and wear the masks from fear. I was amazed. Not that he was that ignorant but because he actually admitted his ignorance in public. Funny that his DD led the team in errors at SS, mostly because she would never stay down on the ball and kept lifting her head. But she was golden because she didn't wear a mask.

Dec 11, 2010
Hey I wanted to add for those who may recognize me and my DD from what I posted above that the team and parents of the team we were playing were just awesome Sunday. They showed a ton of class with both dD's deal but also how the tournament ended and that is part of why I hope every weekend we are head to head battling it out in pool play and at the end of the day Sunday!

Softball is like a big family, some days it's pretty dysfunctional but other days you realize we are all in this deal together. Thanks to all of you.

Oct 7, 2009
I will not allow my daughter to play infield without a mask. The absolute upside for 99.9% of the girls that play is a scholarship for college. Her well being is not worth a college scholarship. Period. I'd rather take out parents' loans and pay for it than subject her to a potentially serious injury.

Mar 28, 2013
I spoke to a local HS assistant coach who told me that during tryouts they place the players with a mask in one line, and the ones without a mask in another. They will fill their team with non-mask wearers until all spots are filled. Only if they need additional players will they grab one from the "mask" line. When I asked him about why this was he said that players who wears masks are less confident, less technically advanced and wear the masks from fear. I was amazed. Not that he was that ignorant but because he actually admitted his ignorance in public. Funny that his DD led the team in errors at SS, mostly because she would never stay down on the ball and kept lifting her head. But she was golden because she didn't wear a mask.

That is part I don't understand the most.so many unmasked infielders in 10-14 age ball pulling there head on every hard grounder and getting hit in the throat or missing the ball all together. If I were a coach they would be wearing a mask till they at least learn to keep their eye on the darn ball.

May 25, 2010
I was speaking to a D1 coach and had my DD present. My DD noticed a face mask and told the coach she had one but hasn't been using it. D1 coach said they feel girls that wear them are looked down upon and it's a red flag for recruiting.
Each year, I see more 'D1' players at top programs wearing masks than I did the previous year.

Just for perspective, there are over 325 Division I programs. You spoke to ONE coach who expressed that viewpoint. Most of the top players in my DD's year group ('02) wear masks at the corners and in the circle.

Apr 19, 2013
I believe that there is more peer pressure than coaches opionions on wearing the masks. My DD wears on the mound and anywhere in the field. After talking to a local D1 player about how the college she played for felt about the masks, she said one coach didn't really have an opinion but the other definitely did not like them. She said that the pressure came from the other players who would call them babies, etc for even mentioning wearing a mask and therefore most of them would not wear one.

I was very proud of my DD at practice the other day. One of her team mates who is also a pitcher gave her grief over putting her mask on during practice while she was on the mound. My DD turned around and said "Hey my face is more important than your opionion and maybe if you wore a mask on 3rd you might be able to catch the ball". I was very proud that she stood up for herself and I think she will continue to do so.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I was very proud of my DD at practice the other day. One of her team mates who is also a pitcher gave her grief over putting her mask on during practice while she was on the mound. My DD turned around and said "Hey my face is more important than your opionion and maybe if you wore a mask on 3rd you might be able to catch the ball". I was very proud that she stood up for herself and I think she will continue to do so.

That's awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55