Emotional Senior Night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
GD, I feel for you man...

I'm on my way out the door right now for my DD's senior night.

It's a bit different for us though, DD's team has home field advantage for playoffs so it isn't the last time she will play on her field. I dread the last game there though as DD is the youngest of our children.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Goingdeep
Your lucky or unlucky, not sure which one?
I did that 5 times, 2 girls. Twice in 2012.. Younger daughter tore her ACL senior year or it would have been 6 times.

I did not cry:rolleyes: (eyes watered) untill the 3rd time with Casey and the 2 time with Jami. I feel your pain.

Think fishing:)

SL

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
What a great Senior day! Uniquivocably, this is one area where travel ball can't compete with high school ball.

A little forewarning - I thought HS senior year passed all too quickly for my kids, but the first year of college ends next week and it seems like it has been just a blink of the eye.

Thanks for sharing GD!

P.S. Pfft, you're all sentimental old fools getting work up over a silly HS tradition

P.P.S. Ok, my bifocals needed windshield wipers.

Nov 29, 2009
Well what I've been reluctant to experience happened yesterday evening, our final home game and Senior night. I'm not sure words can express how you feel as a parent when that day arrives. Your heart is sad to realize those days are over, that your kid will never wear that uniform and play on that field again.

You think that was hard? Wait another 4 years when she throws her last pitch and plays her last game in college. That's when the realization hits you that it's OVER..... There are no more plans for her softball playing future. She never has to pick up a ball competitively again unless she wants to. That was THE hardest day for me after watching DD pitch her team back from the losers bracket to the championship game in their conference tournament. She had nothing more she could give her team. She truly left it all on the field.

After the tears stop there is the feeling of a large void opening up in your world. Trust me, it passes... But it takes a while. You'll find it's easier on your DD than you. If you're truly lucky your DD will still want to hang out with dad and coach a younger team passing along the years of softball knowledge to the next generation of players.

I wish your daughter a successful college career. I hope she's close enough to home so you can see most of the games. The best part of the ride is on the horizon.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Texas
If you're truly lucky your DD will still want to hang out with dad and coach a younger team passing along the years of softball knowledge to the next generation of players.

Sparky Guy, I tenatively made plans with my DD to do this 2 years from now after she's done with college. Only thing left is to draft up the legal papers and have them signed and that she swears before a court to follow through on regardless of consequences. :D Of course I wouldn't ever do that.....any good legal counsel posters on this site that can advise me properly? Heh.

Mar 13, 2010
GD I'm sitting at work bawling! That was beatiful.

I wish America had fast pitch adult leagues. (And not just for elite players) it baffles me that women who have spent years perfecting their craft just stop. In their prime! I'm nearly 30 (eek!) and I bet I'm nowhere near as good as any of your daughters and can still play in an elite comp. players who are better than me do it till their 30s and even 40s if the body holds up. What a waste.

Apr 11, 2012
thanks for sharing....but no worries mate....just another chapter in your life and 4 more softball seasons to go hopefully for you and your DD....

I will say I'm have way there in HS and TB....maybe I will relish it a little more with your story....and will have 4 more after that (news coming soon)....so thanks again!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thank you all for the kind words and personal stories. I think I'm coming out of the coma today, got a game this afternoon and that should be some therapy. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission