Emotional Senior Night

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well what I've been reluctant to experience happened yesterday evening, our final home game and Senior night. I'm not sure words can express how you feel as a parent when that day arrives. Your heart is sad to realize those days are over, that your kid will never wear that uniform and play on that field again.

We only have one child, my DD, so there is no "plan b" coming behind or to "right" the wrongs I did the first time through the magical land of softball.

The ride to the fields was quiet, no radio no conversation between the wife and I. Pulling into the parking lot was a pleasant sight, it was packed with cars and even had to park some in the grass. The fans had come in droves from parents, family, friends, and students. That warmed my heart to see so many come to share that experience. We grilled out deer, chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs............all free.

The game was special to me on its own level. DD pitched her final game from that rubber that has been so good to us the past 4 years. Hearing her name called on the PA and her running onto the field for the last time was bitter sweet. She got the win with one of our rival schools, the girls run ruled them in the 4th inning.

The ceremony was great. Parents were called onto the field and the seniors ran to remove their individual banners from the outfield fence. Recognition was given individually for athletic and academic awards from the past years. Future plans for college scholarships and fields of study were mentioned.

The words from "coach" were very heartwarming. He went on to say how special this group is, broke every HS record in the 26 year program. Won 2 consecutive district/region/sub state championships and two consecutive trips to state...........and hopes we take the records to a new level this year by winning state. For the four years we had a record of 118 wins with 44 losses.

This was also a special accomplishment for the seniors as ALL 6 will be playing ball at the college level.

I love those wonderful young ladies, and wish to thank them for all the enjoyment they've given me over the many years.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
GOINGDEEP,

Very touching story. I (and I'm sure others) will let you know how you felt that you and your wife were not alone. For those of us that have experienced it, it is indeed highly emotional.

There was one thing you mentioned that I feel compelled to expand upon that I think at least a majority of us dad's realize too late, and that is

We only have one child, my DD, so there is no "plan b" coming behind or to "right" the wrongs I did the first time through the magical land of softball.

I will give you a little synopsis of my story on my DD's Senior night 2 years ago. She now plays in college. The wife and I drove to the fields similarly and I stopped at the local corner store to grab my seeds and Gatorade, as I did every HS game. In the store, I look at my wife and she's grabbing a small package of tissues. I ask calmly why she is getting those, and she loses it right there in the store. That choked me up a little, and I'm an 11 year military vet.

Anyway, as we walked and stood on the field in a manner similar to your very nice video, after the game, I ran through my mind all of the things I wished I would have done differently on the ride back home. I made myself a promise to correct that the best I could with DD when the time was right.

Fastforward to our first day at college dropping her off. I tell her to do well in school and kick butt in softball. I then pulled her aside and privately I apologized as heartfelt and sincerely as I could muster about all the times I mistreated her during her TB playing days as both her coach and later as a dad. I explained how very proud I was of her and that if I could undo some things I would certainly do so and things would have been different. I fell on my sword, but didn't realize some of my errors until afterwards.

After I finish she reaches out and touches my arm and says "But daddy, if you hadn't done that I might not be here right now".

There weren't enough tissues in the state to stop what happened next.

GOINGDEEP, to you and your wife and your DD, cherish last night. You won't soon forget it. As your DD moves to the next level, last night was just another platform in the journey that is softball as well as life. I wish you and the family the best of luck!

Feb 14, 2010
GD,

Freaking AWESOME man. My DD only has 2 years of HS left and my other DD hates softball,lol, so it's going to be a sad day for me as well. People tell that you that time flies by but you don't realize how fast it goes until you near the finish line. I look at Brooke and I can't help but see the little tee ball girl picking daisies in the OF and wondering at that moment what her future will hold.

I say to you, your darling DD and all her senior mates, well done and you all have a huge fan in MO. One more thing ladies, finish the ride and get yourselves some hardware, WIN STATE. Thanks for sharing your journey GD, you've done a stand up job for these young ladies, the game of softball needs more mentors like you sir.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Senior night was tough man!
One of the things on our Senior night that I will always remember from the coach is how much he wished this group of seniors was around longer. He couldn't say enough about the individual girls, their attitudes, work ethic and effort. They changed the whole atmosphere.... from a senioritis attitude....around to a team atmosphere, supportive of the younger girls and their success. If the next group of seniors bring the same attitude...it will change their HS program. Very proud my DD was a part that!

Mar 11, 2009
At our high school we only have two seniors both are good players and will go play in college. However one of them is kind of a hot head and got ejected from game prior to senior night for arguing balls and strikes. So she had to sit out on senior night!

Why does it seem that Senior night affects us Dads more than it does the moms? That was the case with DD1. Mom held it together pretty good, but when my daughter buried her face in my chest I just flat out lost it for a moment.
When they took the pictures, for a brief moment I looked like I was passing a kidney stone....of course that was the instant they took the picture that appeared in the paper!
We have great memories of her playing, and are creating more with DD2 & DD3. But there is nothing that is exactly like that Senior night.
Enjoy and cherish.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thanks for sharing! My DD will start her high school career this fall, and I know the next 4 years will be a blur and be over before I know it.....

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
That's 4 years from now for me, and I am going to be one emotional mess judging by my reaction to your post. Thank you so much for sharing.

Now please excuse me while I figure out how dust got into my eyes...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Wow, not fair ... making me tear up some.

I was able to coach my dd her senior year of HS. They did not have a coach and we were in to February. So, dd begged me to take the team. All went well until senior night. Hard to be the coach and the dad. We decorate our field and were so blessed to have several parents who took so many pictures. Our parents set up poster displays of each of our dds from the time that they were very young up to and including HS. So, most parents have 2 or 3 full posters. It is so neat. Also, one parent is a tremendous photographer who blows up one special framed picture of each senior. I mean it is a big picture. Those are displayed over by the concession stand. During the ceremony, I had to introduce my child and say a few words. Well, I did the best I could. Every senior had grown up on a TB team that I coached so I had stories about all of them. They remarked how special that was.

GD, thanks for starting this thread. You have much to be proud of!

Oct 19, 2009
That's tough to read brother. My oldest is playing school ball for the first time this spring as an 8th grader but it doesn't seem like that long ago she was in coach pitch....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1