"Drive the rear hip to the pitcher"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Should there be a directional element to it? Maybe "drive the rear hip the ball" is a better cue?

The way I process this cue (either hip to pitcher, or hip to ball) in my own head, I like that it keeps the focus on movement on the rear hip - more specifically, in the rear hip socket. The challenge (as always) is finding an effective way of translating it to young hitters in a way that makes sense to them.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2014
I think this is somewhat the 'tail wagging the dog'. If you sequence correct early(hips begin opening as the hands are getting flat and the barrel is getting on plane) when the hands release the barrel directionally based on location of the pitch, the rear hip will follow naturally.

IMO, the hitter doesn't have time to think in the box which direction to release their hip. The hands turning the barrel will take a hitter to the ball, and the rear hip will follow suit.

Get in the cage or in front of a tee, take some swings and try it.

Now, if you have a hitter that doesn't know how to use their hips/rear leg at all, that's a different story. Need to take a step back and teach them how to use their lower half.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
For the most part, I see this as a cue to use during practice sessions while working on swing mechanics with girls who aren't getting their lower body involved.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
*Coiling->Coiling->Coiling-> | \
*---------Loading->Loading-> | }---- THE SEQUENCE
*----------------Launching-> | /
miggy_grid.gif

When I hear the que
"Drive the rear hip to the pitcher"
This is what I picture:
20rtwrp.gif

Not what I want nor looking for. To me this is 'the look' which gets the 'top of the rear foot pointed at the pitcher'. I'm looking for more.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Interesting how this ^ was a commonly-used example of a really good young hitter when I joined DFP. I would much rather see a hitter doing what she is doing than the all-arms, no hip or torso turn swing that is common in newer 10U rec ball players.

This is what I envision when I think about the rear hip being driven to the pitcher...
Cabrera_053113_front.gif

Cabrera_053113_side.gif

As with most cues, proper guidance is important.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see the pulling at that point in the turn. Is "drive the rear hip to the pitcher" a bad cue to use with young hitters who severely lack lower body involvement? Can it be useful as a stepping stone towards HL mechanics?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I see the pulling at that point in the turn. Is "drive the rear hip to the pitcher" a bad cue to use with young hitters who severely lack lower body involvement? Can it be useful as a stepping stone towards HL mechanics?

It's possible to be counter productive and bypass/wipeout the desired reactionary explosion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd