DP Flex question from NFHS strategy sheet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
JD:
DP for Flex on defense is a substitution for reentry purposes, and you must announce it or it will at least cause a 15 minute delay in the game if the ump notices or the other coach does and is not sure what to do. Or the ump may call unreported sub and be irritated at you. (I have no idea the penalty but maybe warning and then coach stuck in the dugout.).

Those DP FLex discussions are awful when it's either 20 below or 90 degrees out.

It is easy I also imagine to forget how many times the DP and Flex have subbed for each other with some of the other moves going on.

Is that true? if the DP is playing defense for the short stop and then switches with the pitcher (Flex), isn't that just a defensive swap with no subs?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Is that true? if the DP is playing defense for the short stop and then switches with the pitcher (Flex), isn't that just a defensive swap with no subs?

If the flex is still on the field, then yes it is just a defensive position swap.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS

If the flex is still on the field, then yes it is just a defensive position swap.
Yeah, we were referring to when DP simply replaces Flex and lineup drops to 9. There's a lineup change that has to be noted (removal of Flex from the lineup). Flex can then re-enter once and lineup go back to original.

If it's just a defensive swap, it's not a biggee

Jun 22, 2008
Flex can then re-enter once and lineup go back to original.

Just to clarify, that particular player in the flex position can reenter once. As long as the coach has legal available substitutes he can switch back and forth between 9 and 10 players any number of times during the course of the game.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Just to clarify, that particular player in the flex position can reenter once. As long as the coach has legal available substitutes he can switch back and forth between 9 and 10 players any number of times during the course of the game.
Thanks. I was being short while still in the context of the OP situation and that strategy. Not really thinking outside of that and how my post read by itself

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
thanks for all the replies folks. I'm still not getting why this creates "maximum flexibility for the DP" as written. What if the "great player" were not the dp, but simply a player in the lineup? You sub-in while she warms up and re-enter her to pitch. Flex stays in or you go to 9 at that point. Either way, you are using her re-entry and one sub. The only thing the "great player can't do at that point is play offense-only. I feel like I must be missing something. The only way I see this being advantageous is if you cannot afford (or don't have) a sub and pull her form defense putting back in the player she replaced while she warms up. that seems like the intent of the scenario in my view.

Apr 22, 2015
I'm trying to more fully understand the DP/Flex and how to use it best. I apologize if this has been asked/answered before. I didn't find my exact question:

My understanding is a Flex player can go in and out of the batting lineup for the DP an unlimited number of times. So, if I have a *great* batter that I don't want running bases, would it make sense to have that *great* batter listed as a Flex initially?

Here is my scenarios
1. Player A: Great hitter, but slow. I need her in the batting lineup for entire game. Players B and C: Fast, but not much at the plate (assume for this scenario that my defense is equally strong whether A, B, or C is playing defense)
a. List Player A as Flex (and position)
b. List player B as DP, batting in position you actually want player A to bat [flex is in: 10 players]
c. When it’s player B’s turn to bat, enter Player A to bat (substitution counts against B but not against A) [flex out: down to 9 players]
d. If Player A reaches safely, reenter Player B (counts against B...has used their lone reentry... but not against A) [flex back in: 10 players]
e. Next time B is up to bat, reenter A to bat (B is out of game) [flex out: 9 players]
f. If Player A reaches safely, enter Player C [Flex back in: 10 players]

My question is this...at step (f)...can I put Player C in at DP at that point? Or is the DP position lost? Would it have been necessary for me to sub in C at step (e)? In other words, should step (e) have read:
e. Next time B is up to bat, sub C in (B is out of game) then reenter A to bat for C (substitution counts against C but not against A) [flex out: 9 players]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01