Donaldson discusses his swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
So when JD says he doesn't think hands. That sounds kinda like the Epstein stuff revised with a MUCH better loading system that activates the hands at the right time late in the swing for a deep hpp. When my kid went through the Epstein stuff 3 yrs ago she really hit for power .The position JD gets into at foot strike looks like bat on deltoid to feel the stretch part of the rubber band part of the swing and keep a deep hpp. Am I just seeing what I want or is anyone else seeing the same basic Epstein stuff from his last dvd that he no longer sells . I got away from the Epstein mechanics because I have read many times that there is a low ceiling on those mechanics. Last year or so I have been using the ISO stuff for the most part with good results . Although DDs power numbers have suffered.14 hr Epstein , 4 Hr ISO. Avg is pretty close to the same.
Work=wins, keep in mind that Epstein sees the bat pressed against the deltoid as a drill- at least in his newer teachings (that may be used in games as long as needed), but also teaches getting the hands in a good position and staying long in the hitting zone. In his demonstrations, the student he uses actually has a very similar handset as JD.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
keep in mind that Epstein sees the bat pressed against the deltoid as a drill-
Pressed up against the deltoid/shoulder causing the hands to just be along for the ride. This is pointed out as a weakness of Donaldson 'not using his hands very much'.
The weakness of Donaldson’s swing lies in that he isn’t using his hands very much. Because he’s using his shoulders to swing, he’s sort of forced to just pick a spot and go for it without being able to make too many mid-swing adjustments.
Causing adjustment problems.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pressed up against the deltoid/shoulder causing the hands to just be along for the ride. This is pointed out as a weakness of Donaldson 'not using his hands very much'.

Causing adjustment problems.

Stanton has similar issues for similar reasons.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Stanton has similar issues for similar reasons.

Stanton 'pins' the bat to his rear shoulder. Donaldson doesn't 'think about his hands' but, doesn't 'pin' the bat to his rear shoulder. IMHO both have different swings patterns.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Stanton 'pins' the bat to his rear shoulder. Donaldson doesn't 'think about his hands' but, doesn't 'pin' the bat to his rear shoulder. IMHO both have different swings patterns.

Fair enough. My point was more to do with both having the hands along for the ride with the shoulder turn.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I could be way off base here , but isn't turning the barrel just getting your hands flat , or on plane with the pitch? Go easy boys I'm learning.

Jan 25, 2011
I would love it if someone could come up with some GIFs of Donaldsons swing, with balls in various locations in the zone. Kind of like my favorite Gif of Cabreras swing in I think 7 different locations.

Jul 26, 2016

I don't think JD pins to the deltoid but could he use a little bit of a flatten than swing pattern? He obviously is great but his swing works best mid thigh up and is a little weaker at the knees

Josh Donaldson » Heatmaps » SLG/P | FanGraphs Baseball

On low pitches his barrel looks a little flat and not as vertical as trout
https://youtu.be/m16nSex9eLM

Btw trout seems to have the opposite issue, on high pitch he often still "dumps the barrel" and then has no extension and hits with alligator arms which means he is not as strong at the top of the zone.
http://noontimebaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Trout_side_noext.gif

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...-is-having-trouble-with-the-high-stuff-082914

Ideal would be a hitter that is able to flatten out like JD in the upper half of the zone and point the bat down like trout on low pitches but obviously both won an MVP with their "flaws" so it works for them, probably no reason to change if they still still get enough pitches in their hot zones. For example trout tries to take more pitches in the upper half and extends his zone a couple inches below the knees and thus still gets enough pitches to hit.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Quote Originally Posted by rdbass View Post

I don't think JD pins to the deltoid but could he use a little bit of a flatten than swing pattern? He obviously is great but his swing works best mid thigh up and is a little weaker at the knees

Josh Donaldson » Heatmaps » SLG/P | FanGraphs Baseball

On low pitches his barrel looks a little flat and not as vertical as trout
https://youtu.be/m16nSex9eLM

Btw trout seems to have the opposite issue, on high pitch she often still "dumps the barrel" and then has no extension and hits with alligator arms which means he is not as strong at the top of the zone.

Dom,
You agree with me when I said 'Donaldson DOESN'T 'pin' the bat to is rear shoulder'. Thanks.

Jul 26, 2016
Dom,
You agree with me when I said 'Donaldson DOESN'T 'pin' the bat to is rear shoulder'. Thanks.

Yes, see my post. I think he flattens his bat behind his rear delt (like Tewks suggests in his ebook) and then turns the bat forward horizontal.

Do you agree on my comparison with trout?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06