Does your softball player, play any other sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD dances all year, it is a workout. Upper body, vascular, legs. She is physically exhausted when she comes out of her classes.

A handful of the girls on our Team play volleyball.

May 25, 2010
My daughter plays rec soccer, and also enjoys messing around with tennis and golf.

She didn't get to dance this year, because softball and soccer - along with music, singing, and gymnastics - kept her so busy. She's really committed to both her team sports, but hopes to play competitive tennis someday. Interestingly (?), she's already expressing a bit of angst over which team sport she'll play at the select level in a couple of years. Her mom thinks softball is her sport and I think it's soccer, but she herself isn't exactly happy with the one-or-the-other choice she'll have to make if she wants to play either competitively.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Mine plays High School basketball during the winter between fall softball and spring softball. It keeps her active and conditioned.

Nov 28, 2010
Midwest
My dd is in competative gymnastics. Practices 3 days a week, 2 hrs a practice. Keeps her very fit and strong. She will be able to play school sports next year though and knows she may have to make a decision soon as to wether to continue or not. Says she definately won't be giving up softball!:)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have a lot of bad ideas and am unfortunate enough to implement them. Last year I told the girls that if we won the game all the coaches would do a cartwheel, if we lost the game all the girl’s needed to do a cartwheel. I was worried about a couple of the girls being able to do it and was pretty sure it was a onetime deal.

We happened to lose the game so all the girls had to do a cartwheel.

It was like we were at the junior Olympics tryout. Girls were flying around everywhere and they all looked great. They were doing round offs, 3 or 4 cartwheels in a row, I didn’t even know some of the moves they were doing. I needed to stop them so they could go home.

Every single girl looked great, where they all learn this stuff I have no idea.

May 11, 2009
Besides softball......One DD does dance year round, runs track, & volleyball. Other DD does basketball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
DD was in about everything until 8th grade. Basketball, v'ball, scouts, band, tumbling.

Then, in HS it was basketball and band and softball.

As a sophomore it was softball.

As a junior and senior it was softball and boyfriend. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What other sports do the softball players play?

So here is the follow up question? Does your daughter's coach have a problem with her playing more then 1 sport.

My girl loves sports, hates to pass up a chance to play or to try a new one. In the past year she has played Softball, she plays in a travel league, its all travel teams but we go around this 2 county area and play 2 double headers each week in the league and then go to tournaments on the weekends. She played AYSO soccer, Middle school Basketball, track and volleyball. The only conflicts we have ever had have been between soccer and softball, the soccer coach knows that softball is #1 and will win on all conflicts. So she has never missed a softball game or practice. She was the #1 pitcher on her 12u team last year, and put in a ton of time on her own to develop. At the end of last year the team lost in our league championship tourney, they had played in a tournament over the weekend and on Monday lost in game 2 of the tourney. My girl was wiped out and had her worst outing of the year. The coach made a big deal later about girls who were not dedicated to the team and that we lost because of these girls. Basically it was my daughter and a couple others who played several sports.

So I told that story not to ask advice, or to see what you would do. We did what we could and have moved on, my girl is now playing on the 14u team and in a year will move up again, so we won't have this coaching staff again. I am just curious how common this sort of 1 team sport attitude is.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I don't care if our girls play other sports from October to March. But from April on you have to 100% committed my team. This is told to the parents up front and if they don't like it they can play somewhere else. In our area, we have girls that like to play LL and TB at the same time. Which is fine but our team has to win out on the conflicts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd