"Distance Not an Issue"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I would argue practicing together makes them even better.

You arguing with yourself on this point..

The Olympic team is actually a horrible example in terms of the OT..In that case they get to get their cake and eat it too..Again the OT was basically "why would a team be fine with a kid not practicing…"

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
Yet when they get to college, they practice every day together. And when they name the US National team for the Olympics, do they practice before they start playing, or do they just show up in Tokyo?

The Olympic example is probably the best you can use. These are women, not 14 year-old girls, and they are at the peak of their abilities, and they still practice for several weeks together. Then they embark on a barnstorming tour to get some actual games under their belts before heading off the play in the Olympics. I suspect their practices would blow most people away. I'm sure they do live pitching and hitting, which try as you might, can't be replicated doing front toss in the yard. They work on defensive drills to make sure they know what the other players do in certain circumstances. And they get to know one another personally. The same goes with college. Even at my daughter's D3 school, the softball players live together on campus. Do the faces change from year-to-year? Of course. But they spend way more time together than your average student does with their classmates.

Look, it's hard to argue with the success of these tournament only teams. Some have been great because they attract the best players. But, when you reach the pinnacle of your sport, everyone was the best player on their HS team. I would argue practicing together makes them even better.

For the record, my daughter loves her team practices. They practiced six weekends over the fall. Saturdays 2-6, and Sundays 8-12. Our practices were run by a former D1 coach who retired after a 25 year run at Hofstra. Just listening to him talk about the strategy of the game made it worthwhile. I realize not everyone has that as an option, but I wouldn't trade that for the world.

All the players on the Olympic train by themselves for the most part for 90% of their training. Then they get together for a few months every 4 years, or even longer than 4 years since Olympic softball is not played in every Olympics. It is really a lot more like top tier travel ball, IMO. The Olympics attracts the top talent just like top tier travel ball.

It is not like the Olympic team just suddenly got so much better because they practiced together. Those players were already great athletes.

May 21, 2018
As someone who's daughter has had the privilege of losing to Gambler Bob's DD's team several times, I'm of a mind to agree with his assessment. I don't recall them having the slightest problem covering bunts or relays or anything else.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
All the players on the Olympic train by themselves for the most part for 90% of their training. Then they get together for a few months every 4 years, or even longer than 4 years since Olympic softball is not played in every Olympics. It is really a lot more like top tier travel ball, IMO. The Olympics attracts the top talent just like top tier travel ball.

It is not like the Olympic team just suddenly got so much better because they practiced together. Those players were already great athletes.
Bob, you said your team did 2-3 practices per year plus a few scrimmages. The women playing in the Olympics are better than any of our girls will ever be, yet they still practice for weeks, if not a month, before they embark on any games of meaning. These women are at the pinnacle of their sport, and they still practice together. Yes, they do a ton of work on their own, but when it comes to playing on the biggest stage, they don't walk in cold.

Obviously, I'm not going to change your minds. You don't see the value in team practices. That's your choice. Just make sure you tell your daughter's future college coach you won't be attending practices because you can do the work on your own. Extreme? Maybe. But just because it works for you now, doesn't mean it will always be the case.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
... In fact, most of these girls are practicing at least twice as much as most local teams. I can take my daughter to the local H.S. field and practice for an hour and a half and get 5 times the amount of reps done that she could do in any team practice in that same 1 and half hour time frame. I can take my daughter to the cages and get way more hitting done by ourselves than she could during a team batting practices, plus she won't have to waist time doing silly hitting drills in a team environment. Even if the coach is good at teaching hitting it is very difficult to teach 13 or more girls how to hit in a team batting practice.
That paragraph says a lot...
Some parents sign their kid up for a team expecting the team to teach them softball. Some parents don't have the knowledge or physical ability to develop their kid's skills.
Other parents take the bull by the horns...

Oct 4, 2018
Most of the players are engaging in team practices (high school) just not with this particular team.
Does a team like this really need a coach?

Perhaps they can call their own pitches. Perhaps they know when to replace a player/pitcher. Perhaps they can set a lineup.

However, they might not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles