"Distance Not an Issue"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For National teams from the Northeast I agree that in June and July it is going to be hard to fit in a lot of practice.
Yes, it's crazy. We had two girls miss Top Gun in KC because one was still playing in her state tournament, and the other had final exams on that Friday.

There are 47 calendar days in our travel season. My daughter will spend 19 of those days in her own bed.

Jun 8, 2016
Their SS is highly sought after but her throwing error in 1st inning with 2 outs lead to us score 2 runs in the first inning.
Sounds like she needed to take more ground balls with her father/mother at home where they were also making throws..

You made my point for me..thanks. 90+% of games are won/lost because of individual skill differences for which team practices are unnecessary.

Remember the original topic wasn't about whether you should take a kid who doesn't practice, it was whether you should take a kid who doesn't practice with her team...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
I see team practice as a life skills building event. How to work as a team for a common goal. Working with people you may not like personally. Opportunity to learn from others, and others mistakes.

Jun 8, 2016
I see team practice as a life skills building event. How to work as a team for a common goal. Working with people you may not like personally. Opportunity to learn from others, and others mistakes.
Meh..you get enough of that teamwork crap at school. In real life 90% of the time teamwork involves one smart person generating most of the ideas and everybody else leaching off him/her.

Oct 4, 2018

Yeah, we're happy and fortunate we can be on the right type of team and be local enough for practices. My DD loves to practice and be with the girls more. They're a tight group.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, we're happy and fortunate we can be on the right type of team and be local enough for practices. My DD loves to practice and be with the girls more. They're a tight group.
Having fun with your friends is great, my kid enjoys practicing with her teammates as well. Doesn't mean it has to lead to her being the Secretary General of the UN in 2069.

Parents are great for the most part too. I even get invited to team dinners which I turn down because I tell them social activities give me hives. My wife goes and has to explain I am just strange...I think they feel sorry for her and buy her drinks so it works out for her.

Aug 5, 2022
My oldest has played with a team 3 hrs away since she was 10. We practiced once a weekend and worked on team stuff. Defense, plays etc. Pitching and hitting was expected to be worked on your own other than special plays which we would work in practice. We also intra org scrimmage a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A family friend played for a National team years ago. They had players from 4 or 5 different states. They would typically show up for tournaments a day early and have a 3 hour practice as a team. Otherwise they worked on their own. She ended up playing for USF.

Jun 11, 2013
I see (Distance is not an issue) many times on tryout flyers. How can distance not be an issue? If I live in Raleigh (NC), how can we practice with a team hours away? Are the people saying distance is not an issue, expecting the people to make the team practices or just show up for the tournaments? Don't practices allow for teams to gel and become a cohesive unit? I am fortunate we are not in this situation, but I just wonder what people that say it mean.
It's not ideal to not practice together, but it's one of the few team sports you can plug in players assuming they know how to play in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01