Disrespectful kids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I put the toys away in the garage, after she left. They were pricey. Next time, I could grab something that I don't mind tossing, like a coloring book.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I put the toys away in the garage, after she left. They were pricey. Next time, I could grab something that I don't mind tossing, like a coloring book.

I heard this somewhere around last Christmas, so I can't take credit for it. They said they would wrap a few extra boxes up that DIDN'T have presents in them. When the kids acted up, they go pick on of the presents and throw in in the trash. :)

I might try it next year, because I have thrown away some pricey toys just to make a point.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ Oh, thanks! I am going to do that. It would be my luck that my husband wouldn't get the memo and he would throw out an iPad or something.

In rec ball, I am not seeing the disrespect, so much. In travel ball, I know a coach that goes from team to team, with his own DD, because they argue right on the field.

Aug 6, 2013
Some time ago, we played a fairly good team late in the day - Our girls just didn't show up for the game and were down double digits before we knew it. The other team began taunting our girls and making fun of them. That didn't bother me so much - I figured our girls need to learn to put up with taunting from the opposition, and frankly the way they were playing it was a good object lesson.

BUT… when the coaches didn't stop it and then their fans joined in… I went ballistic!

I have never lost my temper during a game till then... I loudly asked the opposing fans how they could be so classless as to make fun of a bunch of little girls then asked the coach why he would be associated with such classlessness. I believe I kept some decorum and I don’t think I swore or said anything stronger then calling them all rabble and classless trash, but it is all a blur by now.
Between innings I went out and spoke to the field ump - I apologized for going off but asked him to speak to the fans (some of my girls were in tears by now - between the beat down and the taunting) he just said "I didn't really hear anything" So he was either deaf of didn't want to bother.

Jul 17, 2014
Hello All:

First time poster...been lurking around for awhile as a guest. I have coached Rec Ball over the past few years and this year was AC for 12u In-House Travel team. While we saw parental bad sportsmanship in the Rec league, we never saw kids do anything. This year was different. Majority of the teams and girls were great, but we had some instances where some girls got salty.

One time at the end of the game as the girls are giving high-fives, the team that just creamed us 15-4 had a couple of girls who decided to say "you suck" instead of "good game". In another instance, we had a hotly-contested game where we won and the other girls were punching our hands (as hard as they could) instead of nice high fives. It definitely opened my eyes a bit that not everyone is bringing up their girls and teams in the same ways we are. :)

But, as others have said, most still hold sportsmanship in high regard!

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I did not spank or hit my kids. I did not practice "tough love." My kids are not afraid of me. At times, I have been guilty of being more of a "buddy" than a parent. Nonetheless, two of my kids are straight-A students and the third is well on his way. DS #1 has won several coaches' awards. Freshman year his football coach invented a new award to give him. As I said in another thread, DD has a bit of an edge, but she brings home rave reviews from her teachers and has several, very diverse, sets of friends. DS #2 is the kid that literally every coach he has ever had has gone out of their way to come tell us what a great kid and teammate he is.

"I was scared to say 'no' to my parents, they'd kick my a$$." I call BS. Be firm, fair, and consistent, Raise them with respect and empathy, and they will learn to treat others the same way.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Be firm, fair, and consistent, Raise them with respect and empathy, and they will learn to treat others the same way.

I raised my kids that way, as well...except about 50% of the time, when I wasn't firm, fair or consistent.

Jun 7, 2013
I did not spank or hit my kids. I did not practice "tough love." My kids are not afraid of me. At times, I have been guilty of being more of a "buddy" than a parent.

I raised my DDs the same way. The accumulated punishment they received over the years might amount to about three brief timeouts and some talking to. However, I get so many compliments from teachers, etc., concerning their excellent behavior. They were both raised with love and respect and received a lot of time and attention. When I hear about kids misbehaving I usually question the parenting they received (or didn't).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Up around Wisconsin girls are trained to thank the umpires after the game. Anywhere from shouts of "thank you blue" to teams going and having each player shake the umps' hands.

The last tournament my DD played in, there was a very knowledgeable umpire who made some interesting calls in 2 different games that didn't go the way we would've hoped. She was very good at explaining to the coaches what was going on. After the last game, the grandfather of one of the girls went up to the umpire to say what a great call she made, and how informative her explanation was. That helps explain why his granddaughter is a classy girl.

Mar 13, 2010
amen sister. Except fess up....when she started crying did you retrieve them and give her a second chance? I have throws away a lot of stuff that has been left around the house but very little has actually made it to the dump. DDs have had to clean coffee grinds off of a few items though.

My mum didn't throw them out. She took them to charity. And no we never got them back.

She did throw out one item. My brother and i had a full set of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cards. We fought over them, they went in the bin. Stayed in there too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA