Disrespectful kids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Im fairly new to calling the plate, (just recently got my patch) I usually called a base or if I did get the plate, I worked lower level games or rec leagues. I've seen a lot unsportsman like stuff over the years both in coaching as well as umpiring, but last night was out of controll. The parents were leading the charge. Those poor kids will most likely grow up to be just like mom and dad if not worse!

Who is responsible for maintaining control of the game? Take charge and do not put up with it. Although the wording is different, every set of rules has a clause dealing with maintaining decorum and respect for the game. That provides the umpire with significant latitude when dealing with situations like this. Call time out, clear the field and bring both HC's to the circle out of earshot of players and fans. Explain very directly that you will not tolerate the described behavior from either team. Instruct them to go speak to their players and fans and resume the contest. Once resumed if an ejection is warranted at least they were warned.

May 18, 2009
Poor sportsmanship normally leads to Karma.
Back when my DD played 12U, she gave up 2 runs in the
1st inning against a team of taunters whose parents
acted like they had just won the 7th game of the World Series.
DD didn't allow another base runner in a 11-2 win.
The other team did not come out of the dugout for handshake
after the game either.

12U is the most difficult age to coach and deal with crazy mommies

I was listening to an umpire that was challenged to go to the parking lot by a parent over the weekend.

Jan 25, 2011
I was listening to an umpire that was challenged to go to the parking lot by a parent over the weekend.

I would of just got my cell phone out and called the police. Let's see how he would of looked like in front of his family and friends then.

Mar 26, 2013
One of the things that college coaches look at is how players behave and treat others. They quickly eliminate players that disrespect others - especially coaches, parents and umpires - because they don't want to deal with it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It does start at home. My 4 1/2 yo granddaughter wouldn't pick up her numerous toys from my floor tonight, so I got out the trash can and threw them away.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
It does start at home. My 4 1/2 yo granddaughter wouldn't pick up her numerous toys from my floor tonight, so I got out the trash can and threw them away.

amen sister. Except fess up....when she started crying did you retrieve them and give her a second chance? I have throws away a lot of stuff that has been left around the house but very little has actually made it to the dump. DDs have had to clean coffee grinds off of a few items though.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would of just got my cell phone out and called the police. Let's see how he would of looked like in front of his family and friends then.

Maybe 5 years ago, I would have thought this was stupid. But, after an umpire got killed at some rec level stupid soccer game, I think this is excellent advice. Who knows what some bozo is going to do at over this stuff...

(Hmmm...I'm agreeing with Nano too much these days. Need to take a quick litmus test.)

Oct 25, 2009
Sometimes during games (practice, also) I'll see some occasion to say loud enough for fans to hear also, "sportsmanship, sportsmanship" in response to something I heard or saw. Could be borderline taunting, for example. And I always say it right before we line up to shake hands—whether we won or lost.

It comes in handy to help calm coaches and/or parents also.

Another thing I REALLY like are the announcements over the PA at tournaments where they promote the expectations of good sportsmanship.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish