dipping back shoulder during swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2010
It depends on what you mean by dipping. Moving the head back toward the catcher, and/or leaning back and dropping the hands, is BAD. Dipping the shoulder by tilting the spine toward the plate and rotating the back shoulder down toward the ball is GOOD.

jbooth

That is exactly what my daughter does. Lean back , drop the hands. Any good drills to help correct this. She does pretty good off the tee , but in game situations she leans back. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jun 3, 2010
The shoulder is going to drop in all great swings. I think everyone here knows or can visualize the swing that the opening post is asking about. I think that in those bad swings, the first thing to move is the hitters head. If you watch them closely the head tilts over toward the catcher.

Stand up right now from your computer and take two practice swings, the first one keep your head in an upright manner looking/tracking the ball. Your back shoulder will dip a little. Now take another swing where the first thing you do is tilt your head back, the first thing that happens is everything drops down.

I might be way off in what I am trying to explain. To me, many coaches always say " Mandi, you gotta stop dropping that shoulder, when the whole time, it is her head that is tilting backward first.

When your head tilts backwards, the first thing the player is going to see is the bench, because they either popped up or K'd.

Oct 14, 2008
Have her take the top half with her when she transfers her bottom half forward. If the nose stays back as the hip go forward you have no alternative but to do as you describe.

Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207