Did you ever open your mouth, and a split second later wish you hadn't?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
I'll give some umpires benefit of the doubt if they also do baseball, because if you judge by time without considering the shorter distance the softball pitches do seem much faster. But anyone who considers only time is missing the numerator part of speed... distance / time

I remember someone trying to measure how fast the pitch was getting there in 8U for a very fast 8U pitcher (39-42mph) and jumping to the conclusion that since it got there in .360 seconds (counted frames on a camera that shot 30fps if I remember correctly) it must be faster than a major league fastball.... sure, except the 8U player was pitching from 28 feet and the MLB pitcher from 60+ feet, kinda makes a difference.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
DD started this journey playing for an 8u boys baseball team. One young, strapping lad could hit the ball a ton - if he wasn't a striking out. He swung so hard and out of control I'm amazed he ever hit the ball.

During one game as he was getting ready to bat, I suggested he not swing so hard and focus more on making contact. He told me he already knew everything about baseball, because had been playing for 3 years, and there was nothing he could learn from me. Man, I was hot, but I held my tongue in check... until he came back to the dugout after striking out on three straight. Then I said, "You sure learned how to strike out without my help."

I shouldn't have said it... but I have to admit, it still feels kinda good that I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32