DD's Swings from Today at Univ. of Arkansas Camp

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Gobbie ... nice improvements. Good that she is seeing an instructor. Hard to beat good 1-on-1 instruction. You might ask if he/she would address the sequence as well.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Can I see a close up of her grip?

Here is a close up from a photo took during the side toss drill. I tried to enlarge the grip. Not the best picture, but perhaps it will do.

grip.jpg

btw... Coaches at the camp were trying to get her to release her "death grip" on the bat a little... so there is probably some work to be done here.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Gobbie ... nice improvements. Good that she is seeing an instructor. Hard to beat good 1-on-1 instruction. You might ask if he/she would address the sequence as well.

Thanks FFS. Will do! I know he has already pointed out in video the fact that she is bringing her hands forward with her hips and has been talking about working on a better "load".

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Goobie ... listen to the video you recorded for the "Face the Fire Drill". The instructor is basically offering advice to correct the sequence issue. Notice how your daughter flows in this drill ... i.e., without the poor sequence issue.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks FFS. Will do! I know he has already pointed out in video the fact that she is bringing her hands forward with her hips and has been talking about working on a better "load".

Yes ... currently she loads her upper body first, and this has her going "all-forward" together.

e8l7h3.gif

SL said it already ... try to start the sequence such that the muscles in the lower core, or rear hip area, have her rear leg loading first, and load the upper body as the hips are brought/coiled forward. Right now she is loading her upper body first.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Goobie ... the "Face The Fire" drill is a momentum drill. Momentum drills are good drills for learning a proper sequence.

Notice the significant difference in your daughter's swing sequence when she performs this drill. Here she loads her hands rearward as her hips coil/move forward.

efs276.gif

One approach is to perform this drill while focusing on how the hands load rearward as the hips move forward, and then attempt to steal that mechanical sequence and bring it into your normal swing. Simply go back and forth between a momentum drill and tee swings ... with the intent being to capture the feel of this sequence in your momentum drill and to implement this sequence in your normal swing.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
She has only been to the instructors for about a month so I am still learning the drill names. They did the Torque drill. Isn't that is the one where they start with the bad on her deltoid? I don't know what the "numbers" drill is so I am not certain if they worked on that or not. They also did something called the "enforcer" to help with a little casting and to improve the hand path to the ball.

All of Epstein's drills initially start with the bat on the deltoid. The "Torque Drill" is the one that starts with the upper body turned back and the hips kind of face the pitcher. The "Numbers" drill is where the student goes to toe touch and pauses...the #1 position. Heel plant is basically position #2, and the swing is basically position #3. The instructor may do a lot of 1 - 3 swings where your DD goes to toe touch and then drops the front heel and just swings without a pause at heel plant. Instructor may use the cue "drop and tilt".

Epstein is very big on the "Enforcer" drill to prevent casting. I found the "Enforcer drill" can cause other issues, but your "mileage may differ". Once my DD figured out how the back arm works to slot the back elbow, casting wasn't an issue.

I would recommend you ask the instructor his feelings on the hip cock. The Epstein material that I have does not address the hip cock. Based on my experience, having a student go to toe touch with the front foot open at a 45 degree angle can coach the hip cock out of kids. I feel like this is one of the holes in the Epstein "On Target" dvds that I own. Hopefully your DD's instructor addresses this issue.

Oct 14, 2008
Yes ... currently she loads her upper body first, and this has her going "all-forward" together.

e8l7h3.gif

SL said it already ... try to start the sequence such that the muscles in the lower core, or rear hip area, have her rear leg loading first, and load the upper body as the hips are brought/coiled forward. Right now she is loading her upper body first.

The issue i see most of the time caused by this is that at contact the upper body tries to go past the lower. You are correct the sequence is just reversed. The easiest way to see it is If you look at the clip after this when she is doing the face the fire her front knee is locked out beautifully a nice angle from her front foot to her hip then her upper body posture goes straight up from there.
Easily correctable though. She defiantly has alot to like about her swing. Very nice job. She will be fun to watch as she matures into her swing.

Tim

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Coach Larabee used to be at Wright St. in Ohio
He has spent allot of time with Howard. Howard and I went up to the Wright St. camp and Howard worked a hitting station. Coach Larabee raised the bat. avg there using Howards methods.
Have not followed him since he left Ohio
First time I met Sbfamily was at the same clinic

And Goobie she looks like she has a death grip. The bat will give in her swing with the wrong grip.
Front toss it looked like at impact there was a small lag in the contact to launch of the ball.

Try a bat jack on her bat and soon that grip will come natural to her. The bat more in the fingers of the top hand.

She will also gain distance in her hit.

Look for grip. Hitter has posted it a few times.

SL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321