DD's Swings from Today at Univ. of Arkansas Camp

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

FFS - What is quite well? Hitting over .200 in college? It's a shame that you feel it necessary to throw a swing under the bus - after all - you probably have produced hundreds of swings that are in the elite category and should recognize the hard work this young lady has put in to get this far....

Oct 25, 2009
The OP said "Comments appreciated."

If the OP understands that these comments are meant to help I'm sure the OP will be appreciative.

She could use some work on her load and it will make her even better.

I don't know FFS from a tree in the forest but I believe if everyone would take his comments at face value instead of reading negativity in his posts we could have a much better discussion.

R

RayR

Sorry - don't agree - kid is hitting bombs off front toss...how many HS players are doing that? So - the swing is solid....the sequence is not significantly poor that it needs to be significantly improved....and yes - that is throwing the swing under the bus....choose your words more carefully....people probably told Bubba Watson that his swing was a mess because his front foot was all over the place....he'll never make it to the PGA....or that Jeter has a terrible swing....or Tim Tebow mechanics blow....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Choose my words more carefully?

No MTS ... I stand by my comment. The swing sequence here could be significantly improved.

Not sure what Bubba Watson has to do with this kid. Seems like more of a diversion. If you like this kid's sequence, then fine ... personally, I don't like it.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
First off, thanks to everyone for their comments. All input is appreciated. I have been a member of the site for a long time so I knew what I was getting into when I made the original post. Constructive criticism is a good thing.

DD and I have been working hard to "fix" her swing over the past year. To be honest we got a lot of good ideas and drills from this site.

To give a little idea where she was, here is a video of her from last HS season (she was a freshman).
Triple to Right Center - Freshman Year - YouTube
(btw... been working on her base running since then as well)

The main issues she has been working on are:
- dropping hands
- Popping up out of her stance (started with knees bent, but "popped" both legs straight and even rose on her toes while swinging)
- mostly arms swing, not using lower half (coaches always said "Nice hit, but that was all arms")

She has made improvement, but still has work to do.

Been seeing the Epstein coach for about a month.

Thanks again for the comments, I will answer some of the other questions that came up in separate responses.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Do her Epstein instructors have her do the "Torque" and 'Numbers" drills? Do they say anything about the hip cock?

Did the Epstein instructors start her off with the bat on her deltoid?

She has only been to the instructors for about a month so I am still learning the drill names. They did the Torque drill. Isn't that is the one where they start with the bad on her deltoid? I don't know what the "numbers" drill is so I am not certain if they worked on that or not. They also did something called the "enforcer" to help with a little casting and to improve the hand path to the ball.

So for she likes the coach and sessions. He uses video a lot. Take 15 swings, then look at the video. He compares her side-by-side with baseball pro's and softball college players. The video has really helped her see what she is doing and I think it "clicks" with her.

First hitting coach she has had that didn't just take swings for the full hour. Like I said, 15 or so swings, then video, then 15 more swings, then video review.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
does anyone think a little more knee bend might help get the backside muscles more involved, maybe help with a little more pop through the ball?

I believe between the first and second hit on the front-toss video you can see Coach Larabee or one of the other coaches instructing her to fix her stance and "soften" her knees a little more.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
She has only been to the instructors for about a month so I am still learning the drill names. They did the Torque drill. Isn't that is the one where they start with the bad on her deltoid? I don't know what the "numbers" drill is so I am not certain if they worked on that or not. They also did something called the "enforcer" to help with a little casting and to improve the hand path to the ball.

So for she likes the coach and sessions. He uses video a lot. Take 15 swings, then look at the video. He compares her side-by-side with baseball pro's and softball college players. The video has really helped her see what she is doing and I think it "clicks" with her.

First hitting coach she has had that didn't just take swings for the full hour. Like I said, 15 or so swings, then video, then 15 more swings, then video review.

She is 85% there! Don't feel bad about anything said. It is just a fact that from here on out there will be 1 or 2 issues that can reflect some significant results, and minor details that people won't agree on. She is very athletic, and if I was coaching HS these days, I would love to have her on my varsity! As a matter of fact, though I never taught younger girls in travel ball, just from scouting tournaments, I think if this progress continues, she may be an over-match for 16U pitching! Keep a close eye on it, and if she finds HS too easy, and 16U doesn't seem to provide an challenge, she might be better served moving up this year.

Last edited: