DD's Swings from Today at Univ. of Arkansas Camp

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
DD is at the University of Arkansas camp this weekend. Today was just hitting and I got a few videos and wanted to get feedback.

Face the Fire Drill Face the Fire Drill - University of Arkansas Camp - YouTube
(first time ever doing the drill so footwork may be off. Can someone comment if she is doing the drill right?)

Side Toss Side Toss - University of Arkansas Camp - YouTube
(not the best contact in this session, but the basic swing is there for review)

Front toss in the stadium Front Toss - University of Softball Camp - YouTube
(two of the balls hit off the top of the fence and a third was hit 20' over the 220' center field fence.)

DD has been working hard with a couple "Certified Epstein" coaches in preparation for H.S. tryouts. Not yet perfect, but a work in progress. Still spinning a little on the back foot IMO.

DD is 15 and plays 16U.

Comments appreciated.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
IMO she does not spin. One of the better non college swings I've seen on here.

Do her Epstein instructors have her do the "Torque" and 'Numbers" drills? Do they say anything about the hip cock?

Did the Epstein instructors start her off with the bat on her deltoid?

R

RayR

Very nice, Goobie. I like the position at footstrike. Front foot is getting down on time. Solid, repeatable swing.

goobie2.jpg

goobie3.jpg

I don't think she is spinning either.

Attachments

• goobie1.JPG
    goobie1.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 17
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Nice swing, Good hand/bat path

Her tee swings are alittle different than the live front toss swing. Tee swings her hands go back and her hips go forward, good sequence.
Live swings are good, but if she created that same sequence then I think her hips would lead alittle better and would create more power.
Looks like a small lag in the bat to ball hit, would like to check her grip

Can I see a close up of her grip?

Again she has a very nice swing. Who ever is teaching her is doing a good job.

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 22, 2011
does anyone think a little more knee bend might help get the backside muscles more involved, maybe help with a little more pop through the ball?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
A lot of positives here, and I just want to say she is following the ball well to the bat! Eyes are in the zone! Also, her elbows look good, and her hands are not leading the elbows; nice connection! As a former DI coach I can say I liked seeing her hustle. I hated seeing girls walk out of the box or to the next drill. I always figured they would be 10 minutes late for class!

I do agree that there is a little untapped power left in that lower half.

I have looked at her wrists as best I can. They seem to be aligned pretty good. But it would be interesting.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
p.s.

The sequence issue carries into this hitters head-on front-toss swings ... the implication being that the issue is part of this hitter's current mechanics. As SL wrote, work on the sequence ... "hands go back and her hips go forward".

R

RayR

Really - we are getting worked up over soft toss swings at a camp? It's a solid swing...jeez we are getting nit picky, aren't we?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes MTS, really. The poster requested feedback. I suppose I could pretend to like the swing in it's entirety, but why lie?

The swing has some pluses ... correct the sequence and IMO this kid could do quite well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA