DD's Swings from Today at Univ. of Arkansas Camp

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
IMO MTS spoke of the benefit … hand/eye coordination.

He also stated that hitters learned not to let the ball get deep … and that was my experience as well … and I personally didn’t like that. My opinion after watching these HS girls hit off of the light flight machine was that they were becoming army type hitters … the pitched balls would have a late upwards movement (nothing like a real ball) and hitters would tend to leak their hands/arms forward and delay their ‘Go’ to later in their swing.

The head coach had always used a light flight-pitching machine … and he voiced a concern when I shelved the pitching machine. At that point he had never brought a HS team to playoffs, but since shelving the pitching machine (along with other changes that were made) he has brought a HS team to playoffs every year.

I also caution about having a steady diet of hitting light balls over the winter training season. Sure … there are pitching machines (Candrea recommended the Granda pitching machine to me as a substitute) that can throw well, and that’s good, but it helps to drive a normal ball as well. Not uncommon for those living on a diet of hitting light balls only to experience what RichK described … i.e., driving the ball below expectations once hitting real balls outside.

If it works for you, then fine. It just wasn’t working for me.

I can understand the concern and see your point if all we used were lite flyte. I would probably re think the entire process. But I consider the lite flyte like any other tool it has its place. We also use the TCB,s along with regular softballs, mixed in with some tennis balls on some drills. Mix these up with the proper mind set at the plate and there shouldn't be an issue.

Another point to consider is that we use the machine out of pure necessity. Our HS hitting in the fall and winter is waaaaaaaaaay down on the totem pole of whats important from the AD. So needless to say we train where we can and use what we have to survive and do our jobs as non paid volunteer instructors.

Now in saying all of this the HS team I have worked with for the last 4 years is the second highest ranked offense in their conference out of 15 teams and makes at least sectionals every year.Also on the team was probably one of the most successful power hitters in the state. So I think the equipment you use to train is not as important as the system you use. If the kids buy into what you teach youll have success if all you have are wiffle balls and a broom stick .

Tim

Oct 19, 2009
Bouldersdad
So I think the equipment you use to train is not as important as the system you use. If the kids buy into what you teach youll have success if all you have are wiffle balls and a broom stick .
:cool:

Could not have said it better, great point!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I can understand the concern and see your point if all we used were lite flyte. I would probably re think the entire process. But I consider the lite flyte like any other tool it has its place. We also use the TCB,s along with regular softballs, mixed in with some tennis balls on some drills. Mix these up with the proper mind set at the plate and there shouldn't be an issue.

Another point to consider is that we use the machine out of pure necessity. Our HS hitting in the fall and winter is waaaaaaaaaay down on the totem pole of whats important from the AD. So needless to say we train where we can and use what we have to survive and do our jobs as non paid volunteer instructors.

Now in saying all of this the HS team I have worked with for the last 4 years is the second highest ranked offense in their conference out of 15 teams and makes at least sectionals every year.Also on the team was probably one of the most successful power hitters in the state. So I think the equipment you use to train is not as important as the system you use. If the kids buy into what you teach youll have success if all you have are wiffle balls and a broom stick .
Tim

Is way too much common-sense allowed here?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC