DD's catching Debut

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
thumb gaurd

Regardless of glove brand or extra padding, all it takes is to catch one "wrong: and the repeated impact from all the subsequent ones caught "right" prevent it from getting better. Mind over matter is a concept that catchers need to embrace.
I had a doctor check her hand and he said it was a really bad bruise. You're right Green... She hadn't told me but during the opening game she reached towards the 1st base side to grab a low outside pitch and got hit at the base of her hand. I did get the thumb gaurd and she thinks it feels weird of course.

Oct 10, 2011
Evo shield etc...

I guess I didn't think she'd need one with the Vinci. .. it has so much padding but she has caught a lot this week.

I didn't remember that she has a Vinci. I'm very surprised that she's getting bruised with that mitt. That said, if she is, an EvoShield might help.
DD wore the Evo shield last night and said she didn't like the way it felt but it did work. She kept it in all 7 innings. I think she'll get used to it.
She did much better being prepared to hit thanks to the suggestions. .. you'd think her coaches would have helped her with this earlier. She had one of only 2 hits on their pitcher in 4 games and the other hit was a bunt.
Her coach keeps telling her to stay on the balls of her feet and also keeps telling her to hurry up and get in her stance. Isn't the catcher supposed to control the pace? She's been good at nodding and then doing the way she was taught.

Nov 23, 2014
I thought the catchers control the pace as well. But our current TB coach wants her to get in her stance quicker. Ok. She does what the coach wants. This was over the winter indoor practice she was told this. I think it's harder on the catchers in practice because they are up and down a whole lot more. In a real game I feel it's easier. They can stretch the legs between batters and it isn't the constant up and down. Plus they are batting half an inning. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but that's what I see in my daughter. Wear on the knees isn't as bad in real game. On the Evo-shield, my daughter loves it but she has lost a couple, and that's a problem.

Oct 10, 2011
I thought the catchers control the pace as well. But our current TB coach wants her to get in her stance quicker. Ok. She does what the coach wants. This was over the winter indoor practice she was told this. I think it's harder on the catchers in practice because they are up and down a whole lot more. In a real game I feel it's easier. They can stretch the legs between batters and it isn't the constant up and down. Plus they are batting half an inning. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but that's what I see in my daughter. Wear on the knees isn't as bad in real game. On the Evo-shield, my daughter loves it but she has lost a couple, and that's a problem.
Sometimes I think our coaches just want to get the game over with to get out of the cold LOL.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Her coach keeps telling her to stay on the balls of her feet and also keeps telling her to hurry up and get in her stance.

Watch a D1 catcher work, and notice when they get into their receiving stance. For most, it's when the pitcher has already started their motion. Especially if a specific location is being called (as it should be), waiting a little longer to pop or shift into a receiving stance doesn't tip off the batter.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia

At younger ages, sometimes C does have to slow P down, but typically whatever pace P wants, C needs to enforce. Keep her in the zone.
Typically a more developed C will also drop into her resting position instead of hopping up and down.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD wore the Evo shield last night and said she didn't like the way it felt but it did work. She kept it in all 7 innings. I think she'll get used to it.
She did much better being prepared to hit thanks to the suggestions. .. you'd think her coaches would have helped her with this earlier. She had one of only 2 hits on their pitcher in 4 games and the other hit was a bunt.
Her coach keeps telling her to stay on the balls of her feet and also keeps telling her to hurry up and get in her stance. Isn't the catcher supposed to control the pace? She's been good at nodding and then doing the way she was taught.

Just seconding EF's and GG's advice. Keep doing what she's been taught and knows is the right way. You can always drop a copy of the NECC DVD on the coach's doorstep and ring the bell and run - at best, he'll comprehend why she's doing what she's doing or, at worst, learn new buzz words he can parrot and sound informed. The catcher should generally be allowing the pace to be set by the pitcher, but regulating it to make sure it doesn't significantly speed up or slow down in response to game stress or situations. If the coach insists on calling pitches, it is imperative that they have the sign ready quickly and don't hold up the process!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma