DD's catching Debut

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
WILD PITCH
SECTION 26. A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is so high, wide or low
that the catcher cannot handle the ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner
advances. Any pitch in the dirt is wild. Only one wild pitch is recorded regardless of the
number of runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A third strike not handled
by the catcher because it was wild, when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored
as both a wild pitch and a strikeout. No wild pitch is charged if a runner stealing on the
pitch advances only one base. Awild pitch is not an error.

PASSED BALL
SECTION 27. Apassed ball is charged to the catcher when she fails to stop or control a pitch
with ordinary effort and at least one base runner advances. Only one passed ball is recorded
regardless of the number of runners who advance or the number of bases advanced. A
third strike not handled by the catcher that could have been handled with ordinary effort,
when the batter reaches first base safely, is scored as both a passed ball and a strikeout. No
passed ball is charged if a runner stealing on the pitch advances only one base. A passed
ball is not an error.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball_softball_scorebook.pdf

My only beef with this definition are balls that go between the catchers legs.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Cross your fingers that the the scorekeeper doesnt have a vested interest in determining a PB/WP. (ie pitcher or catchers parent).

Oct 10, 2011
Todays said "(pitcher) throws a 1 hitter in win!"
DD did better last night even though she said she still was a bit sore. We go against the State runner up tonight.

Nov 18, 2013
My only beef with this definition are balls that go between the catchers legs.

I agree. I blow it off though because for every ball through the legs the catcher saves a dozen from hitting the backstop.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She texted me that she's pretty sore today but really had fun last night.

Fantastic!

a) Sounds like she has a good arm. So, that is 90% of the battle.
b) Pass balls...don't worry about how to score them. Worry about how to stop them.

Honestly, no one cares if it is the pitchers fault or the catcher's fault. They just want them stopped. If your DD learns to be a "wall" back there, she will be an extremely valuable catcher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06