DD's catching Debut

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
2nd game

She texted me that she's pretty sore today but really had fun last night.

Fantastic!

a) Sounds like she has a good arm. So, that is 90% of the battle.
b) Pass balls...don't worry about how to score them. Worry about how to stop them.

Honestly, no one cares if it is the pitchers fault or the catcher's fault. They just want them stopped. If your DD learns to be a "wall" back there, she will be an extremely valuable catcher.
She did a lot better her second game. ... They scored one passed ball.
Last night the coach asked her how she felt and she said good, just a little sore still, but it's s lot better. He then said I'll give you a break and put you at third. The catcher that played was really experienced but hasn't caught in awhile and she did a good job.
We unfortunately lost in the bottom of the 7 th to the state runner-up. That game was intense! !!
We have our 4 th game this week tonight.

Oct 10, 2011
Tonight

DD did a great job tonight catching but now her glove hand is swelled up in the bottom of her thumb. I did notice she needs to get more organized with her gear etc... She was always rushing to get up to batting and had a rough night there.
Thanks for reading my blog lol!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD did a great job tonight catching but now her glove hand is swelled up in the bottom of her thumb. I did notice she needs to get more organized with her gear etc... She was always rushing to get up to batting and had a rough night there.

With less than two outs drop the legs, otherwise leave them on and drop them in the [on deck] circle.
Coaches get a little pissy when you get on deck with leg guards on and only 1 out ;-)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
on deck

With less than two outs drop the legs, otherwise leave them on and drop them in the [on deck] circle.
Coaches get a little pissy when you get on deck with leg guards on and only 1 out ;-)
That's a good idea. ..I don't think she knows she can wear them on deck.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD did a great job tonight catching but now her glove hand is swelled up in the bottom of her thumb.

An EvoShield thumb guard will help prevent that issue.

She can. My DD leaves hers on all the time unless she's sure she will be batting. Dropping the legs in the on-deck circle is common practice.

Oct 10, 2011
ring gaurd

DD did a great job tonight catching but now her glove hand is swelled up in the bottom of her thumb.

An EvoShield thumb guard will help prevent that issue.

She can. My DD leaves hers on all the time unless she's sure she will be batting. Dropping the legs in the on-deck circle is common practice.
I guess I didn't think she'd need one with the Vinci. .. it has so much padding but she has caught a lot this week.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess I didn't think she'd need one with the Vinci. .. it has so much padding but she has caught a lot this week.

I didn't remember that she has a Vinci. I'm very surprised that she's getting bruised with that mitt. That said, if she is, an EvoShield might help.

Oct 10, 2011
cold weather

Eric I was really surprised because she had been catching every day inside almost the entire practice for a couple weeks. When they went outside in the 40ish degree weather she said it started to hurt. All 3 games she played were fairly cold and I know he stores the balls in their shed. At least their practice balls are. Our pitcher can hit 60 at times but she had caught in practice with her TB team and they all throw over 60. She didn't have a problem then but she wasn't doing it for 7 innings either.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Regardless of glove brand or extra padding, all it takes is to catch one "wrong: and the repeated impact from all the subsequent ones caught "right" prevent it from getting better. Mind over matter is a concept that catchers need to embrace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma