DD's brutally torturing me now

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
Every 9 year old who wants to try pitching should try pitching. You never know. Besides the best players want to try what they haven't done. I realized while watching my dd's HS team her senior year that every starter on her team, except for the catcher had tried pitching at one point in her 10u to 12u career. None of the kids on the bench ever pitched. Is it related? I think so, at least from the competitive personality trait.

Hmm. That's a good point. Here's my thinking on it as is. We already have 4 pitchers that simply need more circle time. If I keep working with her now through the spring of 16, she can give it a go. By that time, she'll either want to stick with it or continue at C. Fortunately, she hasn't said she wants circle time. Only to give it a try in the backyard a little more. But with her....a little more eventually becomes "I wanna do it".

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
DS was going to run winter track anyway, so I told him to run sprints so his baseball and football games would benefit even if he wasn't placing in his events. He has gained a TON of speed.

Aug 26, 2015
DS was going to run winter track anyway, so I told him to run sprints so his baseball and football games would benefit even if he wasn't placing in his events. He has gained a TON of speed.

I was wanting her to just try something new separate from softball so she had something to measure against her desire for softball. When she gave the reason for wanting to try track, it made no sense to have her try anything else. Not yet at least. So, softball it shall be.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I was wanting her to just try something new separate from softball so she had something to measure against her desire for softball. When she gave the reason for wanting to try track, it made no sense to have her try anything else. Not yet at least. So, softball it shall be.

I appreciate your reasoning, but I would accommodate hers as well. It's solid.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am a firm believe that at 10U a good coach should make everyone try to pitch. Line all the girls up and have them throw underhand to each other for a couple of minutes each practice. I bet there are a lot of great pitchers who were never discovered simply because they never tried it. Some will grow tired of it, and some will not have the mental fortitude to fight through the bad innings, and there will be bad innings, but in the end you can at least say you tried!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
1st is not a position, it is where you put your best hitter that can not play somewhere else.
its also a good position for Catchers to play when not catching. I've seen lots of catchers transition well to 1B.

re: Pitching- I was just talking with another parent of a pitcher yesterday and we were discussing the exponentially higher level of commitment required of a pitcher as compared with any other player. at 10U you can easily get by with less, but it's a lot of work, not to mention $$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24