DD - Strange Opening Day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2013
This is the 7th Team DD has been on in her Rec. League, she has always been at least a sort of pitcher.

Tonight was the 1st time she was the opening day starter so we were excited about that and still are.

Her line was 17K, 3 BB, 1HBP, 1 Hit.

Sounds good until you know she pitched 4 innings.

First inning she struck out the 1st 3 batters of the game, walked the next one, the one hit of the game, struck out the next 2 and we were run ruled. Mind you the other Team has put 1 ball in play and we still have not made an out yet.

Second inning went something like the 1st without the hit.

The other Team put the ball in play 4 or 5 times in the 4 innings.

Strange game, I am sure we will figure it out.

Feb 22, 2013
Several years ago, my dd pitched rec. league. In 12U they had a rule that the could not steal home. My dd would strike the 1st three batters out to load the bases and then strike the next two batters out to get two outs. The third out of the inning was a challenge as they had to make the last out. My dd team would get run ruled without the other team getting hits. When she started playing travel ball, the catching got better, but so did the hitting of the girls. Rec. league is good for developing a pitcher's confidence. TB is good for locating pitches and understanding that you can't strike everyone out, but that doesn't stop her from trying.

Have fun watching your daughter pitch. They grow up so fast.

Apr 13, 2013
I think DD’s 20mph FB was confusing everyone.

We will fix this, I was just strange. I have seen a walkfeast before, never seen a stikeout feast before.

Apr 13, 2013
Sorry, another post.

One of my favorite parts of the game is DD threw what only can be described as a changeup, hard to throw a change up when your FB is 20mph. Pretty sure it would have been an illegal pitch in slow-pitch. HC went out and talked to her for a few minutes and she threw 3 straight pitches down the middle about 45mph, the batter did not know what hit them. IDK but I think the HC got her mad.

Only the 1st game.

Feb 3, 2011
This is the 7th Team DD has been on in her Rec. League, she has always been at least a sort of pitcher.

Tonight was the 1st time she was the opening day starter so we were excited about that and still are.

Her line was 17K, 3 BB, 1HBP, 1 Hit.

Sounds good until you know she pitched 4 innings.

First inning she struck out the 1st 3 batters of the game, walked the next one, the one hit of the game, struck out the next 2 and we were run ruled. Mind you the other Team has put 1 ball in play and we still have not made an out yet.

Second inning went something like the 1st without the hit.

The other Team put the ball in play 4 or 5 times in the 4 innings.

Strange game, I am sure we will figure it out.

How did the pitcher record 5 K's and get 0 outs? 1B was never occupied?

What age division is this?

Apr 13, 2013
How did the pitcher record 5 K's and get 0 outs? 1B was never occupied?

What age division is this?

They immediately stole 2nd and made their way around the bases. Runner was on 1st for 1 pitch.

12U Rec.

Edit: I think DD was up to 7Ks before we made the 1st out on a lopper to SS in the 2nd inning.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
One of my favorites;

I had a new 9yr old pitcher, been practicing a few months never saw game time. She really wanted to pitch in a game before the season was over.
After the last game of the rec season, the coach put the team in a "B" tournament. One last time to play together. Game after game she picked daisy's in the outfield.
The games were timed--when time was up, you finished the batter.

Last game of the tournament--team was losing, last batter up, coach calls "TIME OUT".
Calls her in from center field. No warm ups, nothing, just plops her on the rubber and says, "Here's your chance".

She got a 5 pitch warm-up. 5 pitches went sailing all over the place.
Batter-up! First pitch sails high over the batters head, batter swings!--Strike One.
Second pitch flies off to the left, batter swings!--Strike Two!
Batters coach starts screaming at her to stop swinging--"SHE'S THROWN 7 PITCHES IN A ROW THAT HAVEN'T COME CLOSE TO THE PLATE---STOP SWINGING!"

Pitches, 3, 4, 5--go sailing off--batter doesn't swing--Full Count.

Now it's 10 pitches in a row that haven't come near the plate.

Last pitch sails neatly down the center of the plate. Batter doesn't swing.
Her very first batter, she sat down with a K.:cool:

Apr 13, 2013
10U fall ball the game was over because of the run rule. My DD was supposed to pitch and I asked the HC to pitch another player. HC said she wasn’t ready yet. I told them why does it matter she wants to pitch, she has been practicing.

Long story short she knocked my DD down a slot in the rotation. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom