DD is on cloud 9 right now!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2012
So my 9 year old has really come a long way as a player in the past 6 months. She was already a good little pitcher for her age and a good fielder. However, in the past few month she has really come along with her hitting. We have dedicated a tone of time and started all over using many posts and threads on this very board as a reference and tool.

Anyways, she was asked to guest play for a 12U team in a scrimmage. I know the coach real well and half the girls he has are girls I had on my 10u team, so since my dd has played with them and always been one of the best......I wasnt concerned about her playing. Again she always has played with girls that age. However, when we get to the field, I find out the team we are playing is a 2nd year 14U team. Their pitcher wasnt particularly fast but certainly faster then what the dd is used to seeing. I mean she was a 9th grader and my dd is a 4th grader. I was VERY upset that this coach would even ask my dd to play against girls this age, but I should have known with this guy. If this pitcher was good and fast I would have pulled my dd right then and there. However she has seen picthers this fast before at lower levels.Plus my DW told me coach promised to only play her at RF.

So due to those circumstances I let her play but I was and am still pissed off about it. Anyways, the team she played with struggled REALLY bad. The team only had 3 hits on the day and my dd had one of them and also had the teams only RBI. She hit a line drive just out of reach of the short stop. Next batter she tried to steal........LOL. She quickly found out that being a really fast 9 year old means nothing againts 9th garders, when she looked up and had a SS waiting for her with ball in hand.

Anyways, she was VERY excited to get a hit against a freshemn in HS and of course mom and dad were proud as well. Still, this is the last time she will guest play with this 12u team. If that picther wasnt slow for a 14u picther, not only would we have left but I would have had some choice words. DD has already called grandma, pitching coach, other grandma and her fall ball coach for rec.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK, if the P is throwing strikes it wouldn’t hurt DD to out classed.

Great to her she knows she can hit, it will help her in the future.

If she is hitting liners by the SS with the 12” ball an 11” ball would have got to the fence. :)

Did the 12” ball affect her throwing at all or did she not even notice after 5 or 10 minutes?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Congrats SWsoftball and your DD. I am glad that the story had a happy outcome. It could have ended badly. But, nice job, DD!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The best way to get better is to play against teams/players that are better than you are! We do it all the time, although it is usually against the next age group up. Why would a 12U team, using 10U pickup players, enter a tournament with 2nd year 14U teams?

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I'm not sure what a second year 14u team could gain by playing a 12u team with 9 yos. I would be more upset if I were the freshman's parents. What a wasted day. Congrats to your DD!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I always thought of that as a NO WIN situation. If your the older team and win, it's because you're supposed to. You end up loosing and it hurts the team and their confidence.

But for the OP, if she can hang with them (which it sounded like she did) I wouldn't stress it too much. Always take safety into consideration tho, it's not worth getting hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish