Curve Releases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
WOW, several PC's and I have never heard of the palm down curve. My DD just cannot get the feel of the palm up curve. Gives me something to work on now. Thanks

Jul 26, 2010
Most men have always thrown the palm down curve (yes, it is actually thrown in the mens game, even if it isn't in the most elite level). Slow pitch pitchers also throw the curve this way.

Sometime in the 80's someone decided that girls are weak and couldn't hold a softball upside down and invented the palm up curve ball. This was a bunch of BS but that didn't stop the train.

The good news is that throwing a palm up curve is a lot like skipping a rock, so if you're lucky enough to have a daughter that actually knows what the outside world looks like, you're a step ahead.

-W

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
The top is a cross corner roll over drop. Palm down
Bottom is an inside hide roll over drop that is drag bunted from the looks of it. Palm down
No curve spin in either, just forward spin.
I don't think she uses a rise with back spin. Does she? A true over powering thrower, at 70+ mph.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Starsnuffer, How do you get curve spin with the palm down, with the windmill? Are you talking about Hal's submarine delivery and a palm down curve from back in the 50s?

Jul 26, 2010
Starsnuffer, How do you get curve spin with the palm down, with the windmill? Are you talking about Hal's submarine delivery and a palm down curve from back in the 50s?

Normal windmill. I think you're trying to infer some type of wrist motion into what you're envisioning. There isn't any, the fingers spin the ball just like any other pitch. What we're really saying when we say "palm down" is FINGERTIPS down. The ball is spun by the fingers in a counterclockwise motion (for a right hander). The rotation of the forearm (internal rotation actually) is in the same direction as the ball is being spun (9-3 as viewed from the catcher). It's actually a pretty simple pitch to throw, all things considered.

-W

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
X what do you think of the Netherlands pitcher? Something to do if the UT game gets cancelled again. The Real game is on ESPN tonight :{)) Most of the pitchers who come up in discussion are in this series...

She looks like BH has worked with her. Looks good. She looks better than JT who is pitching for Team USA. It hurts my eyes watching JT throw... I hope Mizzou and Tenn. get to play this after noon and tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
She looks like BH has worked with her. Looks good. She looks better than JT who is pitching for Team USA. It hurts my eyes watching JT throw... I hope Mizzou and Tenn. get to play this after noon and tomorrow.

The one I like is the Pitcher from Netherlands. Not her mechanics necessarily... but the fact that she held them scoreless for 6 innings. They said shes just 100 lbs. soake & wet...You gotta watch her first inning...12:30-26:00. Can't help seeing several teamates really giving it all, and supporting her, their 4th pitcher.... I'm betting she the one that K's them in practice alot LOL... Like to hear what you see... I'm seeing plam up & palm down... I'm thinkin she has a pretty nasty curve. USA pumabled everyone else except her and Uneo... Does Uneo have a curve too ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028