Cue Words to Use for instructions ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
I am Sure that at sometime we Have all struggled to get Our DD's and students to understand What We are saying.

I sure know I have so How about we get some cue words here and explanations on what part of the mechanics you use them for
To Help your DD's and Students to understand. They might help someone elses DD or Student understand as well.
this Could be a Very Useful tool. Post .gifs and videos as well.

:)

or I could be wrong...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Here's a few:
-Pull into release with a loose lower arm
-Let whip happen--don't make it happen
-Stay tall and whip into a firm plant
-Pitch from the pocket
-Trust the brush
-Drive hard with the backs of the hands and point the stride toe (JS has me thinking about his...)
-Don't aim--whip it to the target or
-Let the ball find the target
-If pros use T's for hitting form; you can use a net to work on your pitching form.
-Up together; down together (Use both arms to drive out and use both to pull down into release.)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
When learning the release I told My DD to

while set up in a 45 deg pattern with her feet and shoulders with her front shoulder pointed at an object.

to throw the ball at the object her front shoulder was pointed at but release the ball so it went to the catcher.

seems weird but it worked for her

she quickly figured out at what point in the hand rotation the palm was oriented towards the catcher :)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In the summer, we are all a bit more tanned. But even in the winter, one side of our lower arm is darker than the other. In teaching arm whip, I tell them to come down the back side with the light color side of their forearm outward, arm bent a bit, and as they release the ball the forearm turns over to darker side out then up.

Dec 20, 2012
I had certain facial and body expressions to cue her on how she was doing.

Normal face- everything is ok and keep doing what you are doing
Hands thrown over my head- have you ever pitched before in your life?
Pacing back and forth- I'm about to come and take you out of the game myself!
Face is beet red and holding my chest- you better find a ride home because I'm gonna kill you

These seem to be pretty common and are great for helping your daughter thru tough situations.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Favorite 8/10U game cue: After two HBP's in a row, "Hey Sally, they've seen your screw ball, now let's show them the curve!"

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
Favorite 8/10U game cue: After two HBP's in a row, "Hey Sally, they've seen your screw ball, now let's show the the curve!"

I love it :)

I once had half a team in the dugout start to cry because my DD took a 60 mph pitch in the thigh. I asked them why they where crying they did not get hit with it. They said because she is so tiny.

She is in HS TB but is smaller then most 12u kids it was hillarious

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I don't know about cue words, but here's one of my cue expressions...after a bad pitch.

Angry.jpg

Well, not really.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1