Crossfit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Any one out there heard of or participating in Crossfit? Lots of debate out there on this powerful fitness program that could be beneficial to players.

Thoughts...

May 11, 2012
Crossfit is good if you are an adult who seeks to be in amazing shape and hope to acheive ceratin looks physically. Generally speaking it is absolute garbage for an athlete! Again, if it is done in small doses in certain parts of the year as part of an overall phase, then it could be beneficial for sure. However, overall to use this as anything close to long term as a training regimen is a VERY bad idea IMO.

Mar 13, 2010
Crossfit really depends on your box. I've got friends who go to a crossfit box and they adore it. I've been a couple of times and the people who run it are amazing. But it's half hour drive for me. The closet one to me is rubbish, they encourage everyone to 'go heavy or go home' but they're pushing people past their limits.

For a teenager I think it's unnecessary. Especially one who is a sports specific athlete. You need to get them into a sports specific training regime. Crossfit is for general fitness.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Crossfit is good if you are an adult who seeks to be in amazing shape and hope to acheive ceratin looks physically. Generally speaking it is absolute garbage for an athlete! Again, if it is done in small doses in certain parts of the year as part of an overall phase, then it could be beneficial for sure. However, overall to use this as anything close to long term as a training regimen is a VERY bad idea IMO.

Why wouldn't an athlete want to be in amazing shape?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I think it's great....well for people other then myself. A friends dw manages one and her and her posse are in crazy good shape. Strong, fast, lean, uh ya, um, huh? Not sure where that is a bad thing.
There is "crossfit kids" that is targeted to teenagers too.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I like the program and there is a similar one in the park where I conduct my lessons. But, I have no idea where an active teenage would find the time. It would take 3 times a week minimum and probably 5.

May 11, 2012
Nothing wrong with being in amazing shape. No one said that. However, crossfit is one program for every person. The Wads have no rhyme or reason. Wanna lose weight? Same program Wanna get bigger and stronger? Same program. Wanna be more explosive and faster? Same program.

Thats a ridiculous line of thinking. Also, why does a softball player need to be in amazing cardiovascular shape? They arent cross country runners. Softball is a fast twitch sport, so IMO your time is better spent on improving your fast twitch muscle fibers and your overall power and explosiveness, than you are doing a WAD in crossfit and puking your brains out 5 days out of the week.

Softball players are much better off developing their power and explosiveness with an olympic weight training regimen and developing their core. That also means that your body needs ample recovery and crossfit doesnt provide that. Doing this is building up your body to be stronger and more explosive. That means more power behind the ball when you hit, more zip on the ball when you throw and more speed and explosiveness running the bases. Yo can still do this kind of training and run for cardiovascular training 2 times a week and be in great shape! However crossfit might give you minimal strength gains but not for long term and it will get you in amazing conditioning shape and probably give you and amazing body, but it is definitly not the best thing you can do for fast twitch athletes.

Like I mentioned earlier. If your doing it 2-3 weeks as a phase in the season to trim up and condition.......well than it can be great. However in no way shape or form should it be used as a training regimen for an athlete.

FWIW, I have taught crossfit classes, I have taught high interval training, have served as a weight training instructor at a D1 school and have served as a strength and conditioning intern at a D1 school athletics program in the Big East. I love crossfit but time can be better used for athletes.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M[/video][video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M[/video]

Looks good to me

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It worked for me, here is before and after about a month apart.

Before
45df6a05f0b1eabd7a037530c17ecef8_zpsb53040a4.jpg
[/IMG]

After
4d2d26e8a6efac2d934d2315498f0e6e_zps6239aaef.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC