Developing Fastpitch Pitchers: The Speed v Accuracy Debate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One of the age-old questions when developing fastpitch pitchers is whether coaches should prioritize speed or accuracy. Of course the real answer is they should focus on mechanics and everything else comes from that. In other words, focus on the process and the outcomes will take care of themselves. Still, you do need some way […]

More...

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Agree completely. And you wind up developing a pitcher who has learned that batters will also swing at balls. And a pitch doesn’t have to be over the heart of the plate to be a good pitch.

Jan 28, 2017
Obviously you need to coach both and never discourage throwing hard. IMO, genetics plays a part in how to train kids also. If your DD is not going to be a flame thrower you better teach location and spin as the priority but always search for the extra mile. My question, what speed makes college hitters uncomfortable?

Jul 22, 2015
After frustrating times at a young age for my dd and looking back on my own experience in baseball pitching, I learned that there is really no speed vs. accuracy debate. Virtually every pitcher throws more strikes at something just short of their max effort. VERY few can really "just slow down and throw strikes" as many parents love to say. I certainly found it to be true for myself and it has translated to virtually every girl I have coached. While almost none of them threw more strikes at absolute max effort, conversely almost none of them threw more strikes when they intentionally slowed down very much. It seems to me that most pitchers throw their highest percentage of strikes when told to go at about 90% of max effort.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
intentionally slowed down
I don't think it's a matter of intentionally slowing down. From my perspective it involves the intention of the pitcher, when she brings her hands together what is she trying to do? Is it her intention to throw a strike, or to throw fast/hard? When I work with a pitcher part of our practice will emphasize velocity, where her intention will be to throw it fast, fast, then faster. And part of our session will be 'target practice' where I will move the glove all over the place, her intention will be to hit the glove (I will even move the glove after she starts her motion). When we do velocity work I position the glove in the middle of the plate, when we do target practice I never mention velocity, that's for her to figure out. Although if I think she is slowing down and trying to 'steer' the ball I will call her out on it.

Apr 14, 2022
I do not know if you can separate the two. A faster pitcher is not less accurate or a slow pitcher more. Pitchers should throw as hard as they can.
One thing I have learned watching NBA, NFL qb, baseball pitchers, boom or bust is accuracy is an athletic skill, too.

Jul 23, 2023
I've always been of the mindset of mechanics first. If you don't build from good mechanics, you won't have velocity or accuracy.

May 13, 2021
We work on mechanics every time we pitch. However I have always been in the camp of throw with the intent of throwing hard. She does throw hard for her age, I do however believe it is as much genetics as it is practice. I have never nor will I ever tell her to slow down and throw strikes.

May 31, 2023
One of the age-old questions when developing fastpitch pitchers is whether coaches should prioritize speed or accuracy. Of course the real answer is they should focus on mechanics and everything else comes from that. In other words, focus on the process and the outcomes will take care of themselves. Still, you do need some way […]

More...
I think the whole premise is based on kids going to lessons and learning mechanics and how to throw harder but then play for a coach that wants them to aim it, slow it down or whatever it takes, just to throw strikes and win the game (which reinforces bad mechanics). I'm on the speed and spin side of the argument. Strikes will come. I would rather walk 4 and strike out 3 than to give up a lot of hits at that age.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad