college choice-softball coaching beliefs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
How many working professionals would take a job without being reasonably certain that they can live/work with and meet their prospective boss's requirements and expectations?

IMO, a mechanics assessment/compatibility check is a requirement, particularly when a student/athlete is relying on an athletic scholarship to attend/afford a specific school as the Head Coach is the boss and the sole judge, jury, and scholarship re-newer.

Oct 10, 2011
It would be hard to ask that question and trust that it would be well-received. Would this raise a red flag? And what coach would agree not to coach a hitter under any circumstances? Maybe these conversations would go better than I would imagine, but seems like it would take some guts to ask that unless you were a player with a lot of leverage, that is, you're so good that they'll be willing to make some concessions.

I do know one paid hitting/pitching instructor that has told us not to mention his name to a coach because he questioned what they were instructing (his daughter plays there). He's a great guy so I would think he did it politely, but it sounds like it has caused some issues. I guess like everything, it depends who you are talking to and their personality.

Mar 26, 2013
Devil's advocate: How many employers hire people that ask whether they have to do what they're told?

Parents in general should be very careful about their interactions with coaches and that goes for TB (14U+), HS and college. They should progressively have their DD handle it.

It's a good idea to find out their flexibility regarding approaches/mechanics - just don't ask a coach right after getting their assessment and/or approach on mechanics. I recommend DD ask current players about the coaches' flexibility for the most accurate info.

Jul 4, 2012
At the risk of hijacking this interesting thread... Has anyone else noticed the territorial peeing contests in the higher levels of this sport? The us and they and my teachings vs their teachings doesn't seem as bad in baseball or football where I have more experience... Great thread though IM.

Dec 7, 2011
Has anyone ruled out a school because they didn't like their equipment sponsor?

It was a point of indigestion that's for sure! Luckily before DD got into the program a new coach came on board and abolished the lesser brand.... But of course that was only after I bought two of those bats that I had to unload.....

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Has anyone ruled out a school because they didn't like their equipment sponsor?

My DD's future school is sponsored by a company whose equipment I am NOT a big fan of...but I honestly would never have reconsidered her commitment due to that. As I said before, once they're in college, who cares?

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
DD's college coach changed DD's offensive role and her batting style, as well as her defensive position. And I don't care because DD's been a starter since freshman year.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
College softball isn't as important to me as to many here. My dd told me 3 years ago she was not interested in playing college ball. But as we go through the process of picking a University we have eliminated most of them by whether or not they have the degree she is interested in. Then we have narrowed the remainders by the location of the school, relative to where my DD wants to be. Then we further narrowed the search by going to several schools and interviewing students and faculty in the program she wants.

Regardless of how much your DD wants to play softball, I think this should be the approach you take. Take the field of schools you have narrowed to via softball then focus on the academic and the softball will take care of itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26