coachlisle: stop telling hitters to hit the outside pitch deep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Still think there is some travel of the ball still allowed! It depends also on placement related to the plate! In the video he seems to talk about getting jammed because we let ball get in on the plate further but watch his feet when he goes to swing at end! He sets himself back in the box further so yes outside of plate know becomes out in front! Just my thoughts!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Still think there is some travel of the ball still allowed! It depends also on placement related to the plate! In the video he seems to talk about getting jammed because we let ball get in on the plate further but watch his feet when he goes to swing at end! He sets himself back in the box further so yes outside of plate know becomes out in front! Just my thoughts!

Think in terms of relative to the 'body'.

Sure ... a hitter places their body relative to the plate. But they hit relative to their body.

The mentality in the box isn't .... "ummmm, this ball looks like it is coming outside on me, so I'm going to wait a bit longer". IMO it's more of a mindset of driving the ball to the middle third of the outfield. The early portion of the swing is inclusive of setting up to deliver/throw/flail/send the barrel into the 'Along'.

Apr 5, 2013
Yep that makes since but the inside pitch is still hit further out(forward) from the body then the outside pitch? Understand moving hands in and out but from the videos the players are still hitting that pitch out front further then the outside one IMO! The one with the shadow is further out on the in side vs the outside isnt it(or maybe its my old eyes)!

Dec 8, 2014
Posey_InMidOuWLines.gif

Pay attention to the hands......:eek:
JMHO..remember I'm just a dad trying to help my DD.

Trying my best to pay attention to hands. Starts are the same yes. Point of contact something has changed. In the left you can barely see the hands. Middle you can see the right hand. On the right you see both. Where contact is taking place is different.
ScreenShot2015-02-12at94558AM_zpsabd0a3ab.jpg

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Trying my best to pay attention to hands. Starts are the same yes. Point of contact something has changed. In the left you can barely see the hands. Middle you can see the right hand. On the right you see both. Where contact is taking place is different.
View attachment 7531

I was pointing out there are different hand path directions on the 3 different pitched ball locations.
Posey_InMidOuWLines.gif

Last edited:
May 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing this - we are very young in our softball journey (dd is a 1st yr 14u) and since she is quite serious about her ambitions for where she would like to take her softball career, we are in the process of correcting several poor coaching techniques that she has been taught.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, Harold oversimplifies by classifying outside pitch outcomes as a swing and a miss vs. making contact and doesn't acknowledge that there is significant distinction in quality of contact i.e., weak end of the bat or rolled over grounders, slices, lazy pops, driven flies or line drives. Outside pitch quality of contact is what separates the great MLB hitters from their average colleagues.

As FFS’s gifs of Cabrera in post # 13 shows, perhaps it would be more appropriate that the point of contact should be emphasized relative to the hitter's front foot rather than home plate as POC relative to the plate varies as a function of the hitter's initial position in the box, the player's size, length of stride, pitch location, and swing timing. I have no issue with making that distinction as long as it is clearly understood that ideal POC for an outside pitch is deeper than for a middle pitch, which is deeper than for an inside pitch.

IME I’ve found that using the typical home plate and inside/middle/outside pitch set up (i.e., the one Harold shows) provides a long lasting visual for a developing hitter. Without the home plate visual, these hitters easily lose frame of reference, which makes it much more of a challenge to develop a consistent high level swing. Once the concept is ingrained, home plate can be removed and the focus turned to driving the ball where it is pitched.

If you haven’t been paying attention to MLB’s off-season discussions about speeding up the game, one of the measures considered was banning defensive infield shifts. Without getting into the merits, these shifts, which overload the pull side of the field, are a product of MLB hitters being unable to consistently make quality contact on outside pitches. Given similar scouting resources and reports, the same shifts could be used very effectively in FP softball as most hitters have far fewer problems making quality contact (and pulling) with inside and middle pitches. The great hitters can drive the outside pitch (or are so big and strong that they can pull it consistently!). Bottom line is that I am OK using a drill that exaggerates a concept as a means to a desired end.

At face value, Lisle's “Don’t let the outside pitch get deep” is poor advice. IMO, better universal advice would be – “Let the outside pitch get deep, but not too deep” or, better yet, “let the outside pitch get slightly deeper than a middle pitch, and more deeper than an inside pitch”. But as we know, any cue can be effective as long as the hitter understands its contextual meaning and you can bet that Lisle's hitters know exactly what he means!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I am not buying into the fact you do not let the ball travel deeper for the outside pitch.

My point of contact is Anticipated. I Know when I am looking for an outside pitch,...... I know where my contact point should be, and I look to hit it at that point.

I will look to hit the inside pitch more out front, or I Will be jammed up.

I can hit inside out, but I will not hit it well.

You should ask yourself, how far outside are you talking about, and IMHO,, Bustos has it right.

Dec 11, 2010
I cannot believe you guys are giving this drivel the time of day.

Here is what I see: Some of the greatest hitters in baseball hitting the ball too far out front, off the end of the bat, and managing to hit the ball out of the infield and in front of the outfielders. The only reason it got out of the infield is because... They are the greatest hitters in baseball. I would aspire for more than that. The best hit in all of those clips was Jeter hitting one past the right fielder into the corner. In that hit, it looked to me he hit the ball a foot deeper than marked on the clip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves