How does height impact ability to reach the outside pitch and needed bat size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
I have 2 DDs. One is 5'8, one 5'4. We were debating how height impacts the ability to hit an outside pitch all other things equal. The first volley was longer arms=more plate coverage. Then we thought about the fact that the hands stay in and in some sense coverage comes from across the body and the arm furthest from the plate. We also talked about the down angle requiring more length on a taller girl to reach because you are covering vertical and horizontal distance. What do you all think... Give both these girls a 32 inch bat and the same swing, who gets more outside coverage? I'm sure this is obvious to some but I'd love to learn.

Sep 21, 2019
Many are teaching to let the outside pitch travel deeper and then to get extension at to slightly before contact in order to barrel it up and send it with som force to the opposite side of the field. I would think that the taller girls would typically have more reach therefore covering the outside better.

However if both are standing in the correct position relative to the plate then they should realistically be able to cover it equally.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Many are teaching to let the outside pitch travel deeper and then to get extension at to slightly before contact in order to barrel it up and send it with som force to the opposite side of the field. I would think that the taller girls would typically have more reach therefore covering the outside better.

However if both are standing in the correct position relative to the plate then they should realistically be able to cover it equally.

DD is 5’ 4” and we’ve been working on her better covering outside pitches. Her hitting coach talked about exactly what you mentioned. In lesson with front toss the adjustment worked. Will take time to see how it works in game.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
"
How does height impact ability to reach the outside pitch
"
Zip. Nada.

17 inch plate 32 inch bat, 16 inch forearms. Come on, man.

Use a hitting stick, and make sure they dont change their swing for in and out. (IOW, don't let them extend their back elbow/bicep away from their torso)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here’s a couple of outside pitches for your question.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
"
How does height impact ability to reach the outside pitch
"
Zip. Nada.

17 inch plate 32 inch bat, 16 inch forearms. Come on, man.

Use a hitting stick, and make sure they dont change their swing for in and out. (IOW, don't let them extend their back elbow/bicep away from their torso)
If I had all the answers, I would not pose the question. My younger daughter struggles to reach the outside edge at present so clearly it's not as simple as forearm and bat length. Height, stance, arm/wrist angle in the zone, body alignment and other factors all matter. I'm here to learn.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Tazman

If you have video, check her posture. Griffey has some tilt, while Bonds has more. A cue I plan on starting to use is take your back shoulder to the ball, which I’m really after maintaining tilt/posture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi