coachlisle: stop telling hitters to hit the outside pitch deep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
I follow Coach Lisle on twitter. Yesterday this was one of his posts along with the video:

Coaches: Please stop telling hitters to hit the outside pitch deep and to "let it travel" on outside pitches. Easy to simulate off of tee or front toss but the BEST gap to gap hitters hit the outside pitch OUT front of the front foot. I don't agree that often with Harold Reynolds, but he does a great job explaining here.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Coaches: Please stop telling hitters to hit the outside pitch deep and to "let it travel" on outside pitches. Easy to simulate off of tee or front toss but the BEST gap to gap hitters hit the outside pitch OUT front of the front foot. I don't agree that often with Harold Reynolds, but he does a great job explaining here.

gap to gap hitters
Posey_InMidOut.gif

Right center gap here on right gif............................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May 3, 2014
Pelvis re positions for the location so that you can hit through the location - not around it and not at it.

That is a great find Knight!!

I follow Coach Lisle on twitter. Yesterday this was one of his posts along with the video:

Jun 18, 2010
You're going to base it on shadows.....at different times of the day.:p

With the gif, it is hard to tell exactly where the POC is. I stepped through the gif frame-by-frame until POC and simply noticed the shadow. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions based upon that, just thought it was interesting.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Great gif. The ball does get deeper on the outside pitches, but not as deep as I had thought.

It might not me the best idea to base your hitting philosophies off of one gif.

I can hit an inside pitch to right, what would that look like in a gif?

Practice with putting the ball in several outside locations, the PRIME location, is DEEPER.

And it does NOT interfere with Reynolds theory of hitting the ball OUT FRONT, because you do hit the ball OUT FRONT, away from your body, because your body has not turned so far as it would on an inside pitch.

If you hit the outside pitch out front, and every hitter does at times, it tends to be a bit pushy arm swing, which happens, so what, good job hitting the ball.

I am free to change my mind, at any time, and do.

as an edit. the danger in teaching the deep outside pitch, is being LATE, on other pitches.
It happened to me. we worked hard outside with the team before districts, and we struggled.
I worked hard on inside the following day, and we went back to pounding the ball.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
With the gif, it is hard to tell exactly where the POC is. I stepped through the gif frame-by-frame until POC and simply noticed the shadow. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions based upon that, just thought it was interesting.

I posted the gif just for 'it is a possibility' to hit the ball more out front. I will have to set the tee up front for the DD on an outside pitch and see where the ball goes. I'm looking for over head outside pitches for a better view.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't have access to my gifs at work, but it reminds me of the Ryan Braun tee-to-game drill. If I remember correctly, the point of his drill was focusing on an outside pitch.

Dec 8, 2014
Posey_InMidOut.gif

Right center gap here on right gif............................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The gif on the right is the only one with a one handed follow through. Wonder why that is? Where the hands are at contact is different. Getting the hands out to the ball more would help being able to hit the outside pitch closer to the front foot than what is usually taught.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves