Coach Implodes Team for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
So when and how is the best way for a coach to exit a team? Especially when it will kill the team.

The should realize that when they took on the role as HC they decided to put the team first.

They should find a replacement for themselves as HC and try and find a replacement for their daughter as well. Only after the replacements are found should they even consider telling the team about their plans. Then, they should finish out the season as HC & player with the new HC there in an AC role so that the transition is smooth.

Apr 28, 2014
When DD tried out for travel last summer she visited 5 teams. The only team that we could not tell who the head coaches DD was we ended up joining. There is no trace of Daddy Ball on the team DD is on.
The coach's DD is not a pitcher...hmmmm

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The should realize that when they took on the role as HC they decided to put the team first.

I have to admit I am very ambivalent on this and would need more details about the OP. When a non-coach parent asks DFP what should they do when their DD has the opportunity to move to a much better team where they will have greater opportunities for playing time, exposure, etc., my feeling is the consensus is generally "do what is best for your DD". There are also a lot of complaints about daddy coaches on DFP, so here is a situation where a dad coach may be moving his DD to a team he is no longer the HC (I don't know this for sure as there are no details, but I would applaud a move like this). My point is if this were at the end of the season, I would absolutely have no problem with this. The HC and his DD finished their commitment to the team. If this happened to my DD in the middle of a season, I would have been bitter, but in the end would I have done anything differently as a coach or non-coach parent?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to admit I am very ambivalent on this and would need more details about the OP. When a non-coach parent asks DFP what should they do when their DD has the opportunity to move to a much better team where they will have greater opportunities for playing time, exposure, etc., my feeling is the consensus is generally "do what is best for your DD". There are also a lot of complaints about daddy coaches on DFP, so here is a situation where a dad coach may be moving his DD to a team he is no longer the HC (I don't know this for sure as there are no details, but I would applaud a move like this). My point is if this were at the end of the season, I would absolutely have no problem with this. The HC and his DD finished their commitment to the team. If this happened to my DD in the middle of a season, I would have been bitter, but in the end would I have done anything differently as a coach or non-coach parent?

Quite honestly, I find myself in the same boat which is why I didn't criticize the HC's decision and told the OP to do what needed to be done. We don't know the reason behind the HC leaving and there's no details. The only assumption we can make is that it is for a better opportunity for his DD. There's four sides or point of views to this. The first is the view as the HC of the team. The second, the HC as a parent. Third, is the parents of the other families and the fourth is from the players. As a HC he/she probably feels bad and it's wrong to leave until the end of the season but this is a great opportunity and blood is thicker. As a parent, if an opportunity too good to pass up comes along, he's doing what's right for his/her DD. From the team parents POV, it's wrong the HC leaves but the more experienced hands will understand though probably not forgive or forget. On the flip side. these same parents would likely not hesitate to move their DDs given an opportunity for their DD which is too good to pass up. From the players POV, they just want to play. They really don't care who coaches them they just want to be treated well, have fun playing a game they love and finish out the season. Someone needs to step up and take on the responsibility. Everyone else (team parents) needs to look at it from a parental POV (their DD in the situation) and quit the hypocrisy since many would be doing the same thing.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I hate to hear about a HC leaving their team before the season is over, I am also surprised that a team would fold simply because the HC and DD leave. What if the HC's family had to move? What if he/she were hurt or sick and unable to coach? Would the team fold or would one of the AC's or parents "STEP UP" and take over? Sounds like it is time for someone to step out of their "comfort zone" and lead this team to the finish line. If you need inspiration go watch "City Slickers".

I learned a valuable lesson last year, at 16U it is no longer about loyalty or wins and loses, it is about recruiting, especially if your DD has asperations of playing D1 college softball. As a parent or coach you need to put your DD in the best opportunity to get her seen by the right coaches.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not have an opinion, I do but I will not share it, about the DD. The coach bailing on the Team is unacceptable and it is unfortunate it did not happen earlier. Good resentence to them, I would be mad at myself for not knowing the lack of character of the coach and how the heck DD was playing for them in the first place.

Feb 3, 2011
I think some of you are looking at it negatively, but perhaps not realistically. As I read the OP, the HC plans to finish out his commitment with the current team and do the 2 remaining tournaments on their schedule, while he's seeking other opportunities. I don't have a problem with this at all. It's not like he said, "I'm outta here - you guys are on your own for June and July."

There's nothing wrong with looking around now to see what openings might be available. Player or coach, I still say one ought not to make any firm commitments until after the final game of a team's season, but if a coach is planning to coach for a different team, the unfortunate reality is that he cannot wait until August 1st to make his intentions known, given that tryouts would be starting within a few days. If a coach is not planning to coach beyond the present season, there's no easy answer as to whether they should announce that before the final month or so of the season. It just depends on the overall situation, I suppose, but I don't have a problem with this coach giving his team a heads-up. Of course, generally speaking, I'm a glass half-full kind of guy.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think some of you are looking at it negatively, but perhaps not realistically. As I read the OP, the HC plans to finish out his commitment with the current team and do the 2 remaining tournaments on their schedule, while he's seeking other opportunities. I don't have a problem with this at all. It's not like he said, "I'm outta here - you guys are on your own for June and July."

I didn't interpret it that way the first time, but reading it again, that sounds right. ... If that's the case - a coach letting the parents/players know that he's moving on after the season is over - then it sounds like the coach is a stand-up guy. What too often happens is that the coach withholds the info to keep his options open.

Jun 19, 2013
I think if you've signed on to be the head coach for the season you continue out your season. What are you teaching your kids and the team members about commitment and keeping your word in life?? That is one of the serious issues in our society right now is that kids are taught that life is all about them and there is no respect for others.

Our first experience with TB we had a HC disband the team when his pitcher DD got a chance to get a spot on a premier team, thankfully it was at the beginning of the season when some teams were still looking for players. But it was rough - all the tryouts were finished and most teams had been working out together all winter. I then watched this same dad pull his DD from another team two years later toward the end of the season, leaving that team with not enough pitchers to head into state tourney, etc. that time he was also trying to run to greener pastures. Sad for his DD who is a great girl but has a loser for a dad always chasing after the next great thing. And neither of those moves worked out for them and now they have a reputation that follows them wherever they go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32