Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
If a kid is a real athlete, taking off a couple of months for basketball won't matter. Would be just like riding a bike. The trouble is that there are too many girls who are not good athletes who are out there pitching and are making pitching coaches a lot of money.

CoachFP - I think you are missing the point with training during the off season, especially with speciality positions like pitching. Its purpose is two-fold: a) work on new pitches and/or "perfect" existing pitches; and b) maintaining and keeping your pitching at a high-level.

While I think it is important for kids to play multiple sports and to take some time off between seasons; the off-season is a great time to focus on a few core softball skills like pitching, hitting, etc. so the transition is a smooth one once the pre-season starts again. As redhack said, it's also a time for the not as athletic kid to "catch-up" to her peers and stay competitive.

Pitching well is NOT just like riding a bike. Pitching is the most complex activity and movement performed in fastpitch and requires year-round dedication to do it well. Any coach worth his salt can immediately tell which pitcher worked hard in the off-season and which ones didn't pick up a ball for two months.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Two months off would be my recommendation. That means ten months a year of pitching. If you aren't getting it in 10 months you are not going to be very good anyway. If you are a good athlete and have proper mechanics pitching is very much like riding a bike. Bad mechanics almost make you have to start all over again when you take time off.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The key isn't being able to tell if a girl took 2 months off when team practice begins. The key is can you tell when the team starts playing games and tourneys. If the answer is no, then I don't see the issue.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My brother and I ( both D1 pitchers ) were discussing where this thread went. He has more connections past the college level than I, but we could not think of a single professional pitcher that pitches 12 months out of the year.

I may be stoned to death for saying this but I think pitchers need SOME time off. Or at least another sport to keep them in shape.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse