Changing pitching styles?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ok pitching coaches, got a question. How often, or do you change a pitchers style to meet their individual needs?

We've all pitched overhand in baseball, pretty successfully. My brother, D1 pitcher, changed his DS this year ( mid-season ) to the submarine style. He was struggling on the mound early this year Overhand ( 17 years old and pitched his whole life ) but since the change he did a 360. Really got some heat and movement now. Until the change he was 2-7, after the change he won 2 regional tournament games, one sub-state, and one in state playoffs. Finished the HS season with a 1.29 era.

He is really mowing them down in TB now too. Playing some of the best teams in the country.

I know we can't change much about our delivery in FP, but how often do you change what you can when you see it might be beneficial? ( I'm not talking about changing "bad" mechanics ) I'm asking about styles, and especially with someone 16-17 who pitched a "style" their whole lives? Leap n drag, step, open, closed, etc.

I'm curious after seeing such huge results from nephew.............

Jul 6, 2011
It depends on the pitcher. I pitched stepping, closed style until I was about 16 and learned leaping and a more open style on my own and found much greater success. About a year later I hit 60 and my cruising speed was about 60-63 and top 64 (I’m a VERY small pitcher). Prior to leap and drag I maxed out at 58 and couldn’t get any faster. Around the same time I decided to use a back swing then about 3 years ago I stopped using a back swing. I have changed several pitchers to leap and drag including one college pitcher. I have also helped my pitching students make changes such as; remove or add a back swing, change their pre pitch or windup motion and changed one (very large) pitcher to step-style. I would normally never change someone to a stepper but it has worked much better than leaping for her.

I have also transitioned many girls to more open styles and typically stay away from closed. I have many instructors in this area that teach closed, no IR, stepping style mechanics so I have changed several and have had excellent results.
I also had two wrist surgeries, bad tendonitis in several areas, an ankle reconstruction and a foot reconstruction so I made several adjustments once I started pitching again a couple years ago such as no back swing and it has worked.

Jul 28, 2008
Sorry to sound stupid but what is the difference between open and closed and step?

When the pitcher is on the pitcher's plate, she is closed. Hips are squared up with home plate. When you leap and the hips are now squared towards 3rd (right handed pitcher) she is open. Just like a door. A closed style pitcher will then shut the door, her hips will end up squared with home plate.

Generally speaking:
Closed style - Closed, open, closed or in the case of step pitchers, they stay closed.
Open style - Closed, open (do not close their hips)

Step is just that. They step and pitch. Usually, they do not fully open their hips while pitching this way.

Leap and drag is what you're accustomed to seeing. They don't step, but leap out with their front foot and drag their rear foot.

That should be as clear as mud now. :)

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2012
Thats what I thought but I was afraid I was mixing up open and closed. My 9 yo DD is a step though we will be working on opening up when tb season is over. Its her 1st year pitching and she has been quite successful and really loves it.

Mar 19, 2012
Not a PC, but DD's PC changed her motion last fall and we have seen some big improvements. She had a back swing that he took out because she was leaning forward to much with it plus a whole host of other problems that stemmed from it.

We have had to work very hard with the new motion, but she has gained more control and speed. Her timing on the release and just overall motion is much smoother than before.

Sep 3, 2009
When working with beginners I've found that some do better with the backswing while others do better with the ball hand and glove together at the hip ala Hillhouse. While I prefer the latter my 12 DD went back to a full backswing last year and it helped her. With ball and glove together she just couldn't stop at the hip and kept wanting to bring both hands back too far on her right side which caused her to be unbalanced while starting her forward motion.

Dec 7, 2011
DD here originally had a Monica Abbott style bend over motion. This was becoming a back problem.

Last year she changed to a more standard style. This really consumed her whole TB season as we realized she needed to change late in the HS season. Unfortunate, but had to happen.

So just be ready to "give-up" a HS or TB season if you go after a large change.

Oct 22, 2009
Changed DD's style from step to leap at 14--as she entered high school, it really was the best decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan