Casting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
My DD has always been a strong hitter but here lately she has developed a bad habit of casting when she swings. She is rolling her wrist and driving everything into the ground. I need some helpful hints from all you veterans how to fix this problem. I've purchased an insider bat and we have been working with it and looks like it is helping some. She hits correctly for the most part when we are hitting off a tee but when we hit live pitching she tends to cast more often.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My DD has always been a strong hitter but here lately she has developed a bad habit of casting when she swings. She is rolling her wrist and driving everything into the ground. I need some helpful hints from all you veterans how to fix this problem. I've purchased an insider bat and we have been working with it and looks like it is helping some. She hits correctly for the most part when we are hitting off a tee but when we hit live pitching she tends to cast more often.

One thing that helped my DD a lot with breaking the casting habit was a ton of front toss inside, like almost right at her front hip. We started with tennis balls so she wouldn't be worried about getting hit.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I posted this in the other thread - try the Chuck It Drill. It's a lot cheaper than the Insider Bat and the Whit Hit! We made a game out of it by putting up a target. I'd be interested to know whether the experts on this site think this is a good drill, or whether there are better (and simpler) drill.

Oct 14, 2008
I posted this in the other thread - try the Chuck It Drill. It's a lot cheaper than the Insider Bat and the Whit Hit! We made a game out of it by putting up a target. I'd be interested to know whether the experts on this site think this is a good drill, or whether there are better (and simpler) drill.

I like the chuckit, I use it alot with kids before the whip hit. once their able to toss it straight the hand path works a lot smoother when they graduate to the whip hit.

Tim

Oct 27, 2009
Watch her feet to look and see if she is strideing towards the plate or towards the pitcher as she should. Sometimes it is the footwork that causes something like this, a closed stance can sometimes cause the hitter to the stride towards the plate thus casting the hands. If the footwork is good then trying to get her to get to extension with palm up, palm down,out in front and not out over the plate. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan