casting hands issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This guy looks to be after creating dead hands.

Agree these were my earlier comments about the video:
I believe that is what he was recommending to fix 'casting'. Lead with the hips first and lay the bat on your shoulder. Pretty much recommending to take the hands out of the equation. Me...I would learn how to use the hands but, that just me.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RD, what is the location for the first gif? Is it outside?

WillMyers_061913_side.gif

Looks to be. Do you have a different gif showing Myers with a different type of swing. I think Myers always had pretty much the same swing on all pitch locations.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Can you post a video of your DD's swing.
I am leaning more towards 'arm bar'
WillMyers_061913_side.gif

What is being shown is 'ARM BAR'....would be the full extension of the lead-arm prior to 'swing launch'. (Prior to STARTING the swing.
and the simple easy fix is this:
16ateu1.gif

Reminding, constantly, during drills to keep a slight bend in the bottom hand arm during the 'loading' of the swing prior to going into the swing.
579dd.gif

But, I'm guessing without video. Hopefully someone else can be more help.

I'm with rdbass on this one. Without a video, all we can do is guess. But I have seen many people misinterpret arm bar as casting. It is also quite possible that there is some early casting due to an "around the body" type swing. But again, video would be needed to know for sure. Personally, I consider all good swings to have an element of casting. It just happens to be "casting with direction". As rd stated, learn how to use the hands properly and it isn't an issue. Good luck!

Even with video we may disagree, such as the example here of arm bar. But at last video allows for a more focused discussion.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Early ... as in during the 'around'.

The barrel is cast .... into and through the 'along'.

To clarify, the angle that Donny spoke of in terms of casting was the angle between the lead forearm and the bat ..... Not the angle between the lead upper arm and lead forearm.

Just mentioning this because the topic of arm bar has been brought up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi