Carolina Walk thrus ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2009
Can someone please send me a video or explanation of a carolina walk thru? I saw there was a link posted from 5potsofgold but i am unable to open. Any help is appreciated. Thank you:)

Attachments

• Cat016.jpg
    Cat016.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 15
  • FinchSide042.jpg
    FinchSide042.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 11
Jul 14, 2008
Can someone please send me a video or explanation of a carolina walk thru? I saw there was a link posted from 5potsofgold but i am unable to open. Any help is appreciated. Thank you:)

Not sure what a carolina walk thru is, but here's a California Walk Through.....:D

ajwjky.gif

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have very little girls, some as young a 6. We have to take the "pitching rubber" out of there. They don't do any pre motion with the ball. It is just carried at the hip. We take 3 fast steps. For a righty it is left, right,left. The pitch begins when they push off the right foot.

They love it once they get it down.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Best thing I did was insist that my daughter push straight up and over instead of pre-turning her push foot. She was really weak in the beginning but she was able to stop with the dragging of her foot sideways. It also strengthened her core quite a bit.

At first I wondered if pushing straight on walkthru's was important but after learning so much via the internal rotation thread, I now just analyize BM's video's as best I can and use them as the guideline.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
katrox, the Carolina walk through is like the video shown by Boardmember EXCEPT, the pitcher is to leave her left foot (note that the pitcher is a lefty) off the ground until the ball is returned to her by the catcher.

In Boardmember's video, notice how little forward movement of the body there is by the pitcher after the ball is released and she lands on her right foot (she is a lefty). She is very balanced, and doesn't need to use her left foot for balance after she throws the ball. An advanced pitcher like her can in fact throw the ball at 60+ mph, not move an inch after her right foot lands, and keep her left foot in the air for several minutes. That is because she is extremely well balanced and moves her entire body (including her arms) linearly from the pitchers mound toward the plate.

Many young pitchers have enormous difficulty in keeping their weight back and standing tall when they throw. They also tend to "throw the glove"...i.e., use the glove hand to spin the body. They don't notice they are doing all of this because they continually use their push off foot for balance.

The only way to do a Carolina walk through is to keep the weight back and stand tall at release. If the pitcher doesn't, then the pitcher will fall forward and will use her push off leg for balance.

It is an easy way for the pitcher to get immediate, tactile feedback from her body. Reasonably athletic pitchers will pick up the Carolina walk through quickly.

It is called the Carolina walk through because I first saw it used as a training aide by the pitching coach from Coastal Carolina University back in 1995.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think most pitchers are just doing "walk throughs." I only hear of the Carolina Walk Through, here on the board. So, yes, there is probably a difference between the 2.

At Uof AZ., Teresa Wilson has her pitchers do this, using a wooden box as a "push off." They start behind the wooden box and then hit it with their last step and bounce off of it. I bought a really good box at Home Depot, that is made to cover an irrigation system. They are about 8 inches high, I would guess.

Aug 21, 2008
Amy... I'm not a rocket scientist or anything of the sort but can you explain what the hell the wooden box is for? Why would she want pitchers stepping up on something then pushing from an elevated position? What's the point? Do they now pitch from an elevated rubber? If not, that seems rather counter productive.

Bill

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. I can't explain it. She showed us at a coaches camp and she said that at schools she has been at, she would use the bottom step of a bleacher, some how. She had Sarah Akamine demonstrate and she just took 3 steps and bounced off of it.

Teresa has resigned now, so I doubt if I ever learn any more about it.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
No. I can't explain it. She showed us at a coaches camp and she said that at schools she has been at, she would use the bottom step of a bleacher, some how. She had Sarah Akamine demonstrate and she just took 3 steps and bounced off of it.

Teresa has resigned now, so I doubt if I ever learn any more about it.

That may explain Fowler's illigel pitching. Lol!!! I am a big U of A fan. So I am allowed to make that joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00