Buying into Peel vs Roll Over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
FR,

Speed kills but movement frustrates. I was watching Lacey Waldrop have her way with Florida yesterday (devod) between her drop and off speed she managed to keep them off balance for the first 5 innings (don't spoil it for me). I'm not certain what she was throwing but if anyone can tell me, I would greatly appreciate it. At 10 yrs. I personally would stay away from the rollover for a bit. Stripe a ball and see what type of spin she is getting right now and keep working on getting the speed and mechanics and introduce a change.
I think waldrop was throwing a peel, a flip change, and an offspeed curve. She had 18ks in 6 2/3. One of the best pitching performances I've seen and I'm a gator fan.

Apr 11, 2012
Of current college pitchers, who is a pitcher with a really good peel drop and who has a really good turnover? Of former pitchers? Any videos?

Mar 26, 2013
Hi; I would like to assure you the rollover drop or rollover drop curve should not cause shoulder pain if thrown correctly . It is your forearm doing all the work. I taught my daughter the drop curve at 9 and she has been throwing it for 5 years without any shoulder problems. I pitched for 14 years competitively without any injuries. The drop curve is an awesome pitch. I pitched against the 1996 Olympic Team and threw 80% drop curves and it took four innings for them to hit it. Tell your daughter to keep up the good work!

Dec 7, 2011
Hi; I would like to assure you the rollover drop or rollover drop curve should not cause shoulder pain if thrown correctly . It is your forearm doing all the work. I taught my daughter the drop curve at 9 and she has been throwing it for 5 years without any shoulder problems. I pitched for 14 years competitively without any injuries. The drop curve is an awesome pitch. I pitched against the 1996 Olympic Team and threw 80% drop curves and it took four innings for them to hit it. Tell your daughter to keep up the good work!
Curious - you a lefty?

Jul 26, 2010
They're all peel drops. The turnover is just a misnomer. The only difference is in the directions the fingers are pointed. In the end, speed and spin are all that matter.

-W

Jul 17, 2012
FR,

Speed kills but movement frustrates. I was watching Lacey Waldrop have her way with Florida yesterday (devod) between her drop and off speed she managed to keep them off balance for the first 5 innings (don't spoil it for me). I'm not certain what she was throwing but if anyone can tell me, I would greatly appreciate it. At 10 yrs. I personally would stay away from the rollover for a bit. Stripe a ball and see what type of spin she is getting right now and keep working on getting the speed and mechanics and introduce a change.
Just for the record, the only reason I made that statement is because my DD has yet to be taught ANY movement pitches. She's focused on speed and location with her FB. She'll learn the flip change once she has inside outside high low mastered. The drop follows the change in her PC's progressions and she teaches the roll over drop.

As for spin, dd has what I understand to be the typical "I/R" spin which would be a 7-1 spin. Initially, she threw a dead bullet spin. I never really addressed it as it sounded pretty normal based on what I had researched. The 7-1 just came naturally as she improved her mechanics. We also worked quite a bit with the youth league football (slightly deflated to allow her to get a good grip) to show her how she can manipulate the spin by adjusting the way the ball rolled off her fingers.

Feb 5, 2010
FR,
With what you have discribed, your dd is very close to throwing a movement pitch right now. By getting rid of the bullet spin, you have taken the first step to a movement pitch. I guess what I would work on is getting 12/6 (catchers view) and a slightly ealier release and like magic, you have a peel. It is thrown just as hard so you are not giving up anything. The change up will take some work to master but will be needed. The some of the very best will tell you that it is all about angles and gravity. I'm at the point where I believe Starsnuffer's statement, along with others, seems to make perfect sense. As it has been discribed to me, the rollover is just a peel with more IR.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm going to open myself up like a punching bag here. Two points to this post. First off, if your DD has a good spin on her FB to the point it naturally drops, why not try to enhance that with the earlier release and a little more finger action?

My DD was the same way at 10 & 12U the only adjustment for her was two seams=FB and 4 seams=drop. Killed lots of batters and no mechanical changes just grip. In 14U the PC changed her to rollover and the drop was about the same but after two months of throwing it she developed elbow problems from overuse. Went back to peel and all is well.

Second, I don't understand how the motion of turning your hand over the way it needs to for the rollover can get the same RMP's as the peel. I assume I'm WAY off the normal thinking pattern here since most of what I read tells me the rollover has a more profound bottom out than the peel. I just cant understand how.

We got ahold of a rev fire and she last summer and she threw both. Her peel had 22-24 rpm at mid 50's mph while the rollover was 18-20 rpm in the low 50's. She also tried 'maxing spin' on a peel and got it up to 29 rpm but speed dropped to high 40's.

My DD was also a national level baton twirler so she has always had amazing wrist and finger strength and control. I say stick with the peel and change grips when needed. My DD will very occasionally do a rollover when she thinks an offspeed will do in a batter rather than making her ground out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd